my race goals for the b.a.a. 10k

Sunday is the big day and it’s time to lay out my race goals for the B.A.A. 10K. I registered months ago, nervous the event would sell out before I entered my information and I would lose my chance at another state in my Run 50 States challenge. Luck was with me and I snagged my spot minutes after the race opened. Now, it’s sold out, and I’m about to claim Massachusetts as my seventh state.

My race goals are fairly straightforward.

Don’t be intimidated.

This is a new-to-me race in a new city with new people. I don’t know the vibe, the rules or the area. I’m running alone and I have no idea what to expect from the city, the spectators or the organization. Normally, this would throw me into a tailspin of anxiety, but my goal is to hold my head high, take a deep breath and run my race. I’ve reviewed all the pertinent race information. Mr PugRunner and little man will be joining me. I have nothing to worry about.

Pay attention to my body.

Nothing is actually wrong, but my jangly hip has been doing what it does best: jangle. I am blaming flights, long car rides and chilly weather. Six point two miles is an easy run for me, but I am untested in the north. Things are different: the air, the pavement, the grade and incline of the streets. I’m hoping the cooler, less humid conditions will allow for an easier run, so I can focus more on the hills and the route but time will tell. My race goals say take it a step at a time and do what feels right.

Trust my training.

I know and love this distance. 10Ks are my favorites and I feel good stretching myself for the 6.2 miles. There is no reason to let my brain get the best of me and cause doubt. I’ve got everything in hand, including my bib and my shoes, and it’s supposed to be a beautiful day. My job is just to run.

Have fun!

As always, fun is the name of the game. Guys, I’ll be running in Boston and earning an actual unicorn medal. This is a fairly big deal: it’s not the Boston Marathon, but that’s not a race that makes my bucket list. It’s going to be fairly epic, if not emotional, to cross that iconic finish line and I cannot wait.

Do you ever get nervous when a race is unfamiliar to you?

Are you a fan of traveling to race or sticking closer to home?

20 Responses to my race goals for the b.a.a. 10k

So fun. I want to fun this race someday.

Yes I’m always nervous in a new place.

As you know I love to travel for races.

Going to Bermuda in Feb. so excited. You should come

Racecations are the best!

So the truth is I am booked for every weekend in February. I have two out of town races, an in town race and a conference. It’s ridiculous! Otherwise, I would really take a look at that trip.

2. definitely have fun! Enjoy your weekend can’t wait to read about it
    Deborah Brooks recently posted…Running For Life- a look at “The Human Race” documentaryMy Profile

3. Cari says:

Enjoy! Hope you’ll enjoy the cooler weather. I tend to get nerves in either situation.

4. You’re going to be great! I haven’t done the 10K, but there were several years in a row that I did the 5K during Marathon Weekend. It’s a wonderful race! I hear the 10K is hillier than the 5K, but I think you’ll find the cooler and (hopefully) less humid air to be quite nice! It’s supposed to stop raining for the weekend too, so that should be nice!

Yes. It was hilly. Hillier than most things I run. Which is hilarious because the locals are all “nah, it’s so flat.” Um. Then why are those people ahead of me at a higher elevation? That’s a hill, friends. Of course, when I explained to them about how flat Florida is, they couldn’t work their heads around that. I think my Garmin showed a 50 ft gain for the race. On a regular day in my world, it’s maybe 3 ft.

5. I definitely get nervous when a race is new to me. Trusting your training is definitely an important thing when it comes to race day! Good luck and have a blast!
    Sandra D Laflamme recently posted…Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: What is it?My Profile

It was a good plan. I had one bad moment where I misstepped on some uneven pavement and had to slow myself for a “wellness check” but then I got right back to it.

6. I don’t get nervous at a new race, but I definitely have anxiety getting TO the race site. I hate driving in unfamiliar places, especially with the added pressure of timeline (aka:startline). Good luck!

Hahah! I was a mess that morning! Especially because everyone had to pick up their shirts on race day and I was so worried that if I didn’t get it before the race I wouldn’t be able to get it after. I was probably one of the first non-workers at the venue, even though we took an Uber and didn’t need to worry about parking. It worked out but I totally understand that kind of anxiety.

7. I will be there with my brother – I hope I get to see you! The BAA 10K course is a nice tour through Boston – enjoy & good luck!

8. Coco says:

Boston is a great city! You will have a fantastic time!

I have been a few times before but this was the first time with little man. He’s not so sure about the way I do cities (I am all about walking everywhere and I always have a game plan), but he’s going with the flow. I think this is the longest trip he’s been on and he’s ready to be home in his own bed.

9. Angela says:

The 50 states challenge sounds so cool! Enjoy your race in Mass., can’t wait to read about it!!

10. Farrah says:

Best of luck to you on your goals! (Especially that last one! :] )

11. Pingback: june runfessions | Runs With PugsRuns With Pugs