weekly report: 6.8 – 6.14

What a whirlwind of a week. Mileage-wise, there is nothing impressive to see here. Record high temps and an impromptu trip to Orlando really put the kibosh on my running plans. But, that’s ok. We had a blast this week, and that’s what matters.

Sunday – rest

This was a pretty easy day. It’s nice to just be able to relax and chill out, rather than running around doing errands and what not. We enjoyed a nice day and I was ready for a new week.

Monday – 4 miles

Finally! Time to try out my new Saucony Guide 8s! Whoo hoo!

I thought I would be ok without the Superfeet Berry inserts I wear in my other shoes, but about .2 miles into my run, I knew I had made a mistake. So I went right back home to remedy the situation and then headed out again. It was definitely a different feeling, but I am really happy to have another shoe in my rotation.

After that, I showered and got little man ready. We met a friend for breakfast biscuits and then headed to a local park for some exploring.

It was an absolute blast!

Tuesday – rest

It was my last day of work for the week, and it was a busy one! I love that, though. Helps the hours pass more quickly.

When I got home, I worked on packing our things for our mini vacation. We all went to bed early so that we could get up and be ready to go bright and early.

Wednesday – rest

We were on the road just after 8:00. We got some breakfast and had a rather uneventful drive south. It was before noon when we pulled up to our hotel, the Portofino Bay resort, one of Universal Studio’s on site properties. We normally stay at the more reasonably priced Cabana Bay, but with Portofino Bay, we got early entrance to the park and Express Passes for everyone for both days. Since it’s summer and a lot of schools are already out and vacations are underway, we figured it was worth it to have the ability to bypass a lot of lines.

Originally, we had planned to spend a few hours in the parks and then check out the hotel pool, but everything was going so well that we just stayed put until close.

Thursday – rest

Despite our late night on Wednesday, we were up super early to take advantage of our early entrance to Islands of Adventure. All the crowds were centered in Hogsmeade, and once we got clear of the area, we did a ton of rides.

We zigzagged through both parks all day and finally got going around 3:00 in the afternoon. We were sad to leave because we were having so much fun and everything was going so smoothly, but it was also good to get home.

Friday – rest

We spent a very nice morning at home before I got little man’s bag ready again. He was going to his grandparents’ house to play The Price is Right at the community center. Papa Bear is a huge Price is Right fan and he has been looking forward to this for months.

Before the game, we all had a nice dinner together and then I left them to it. It turns out, they won the Final Showcase! They got a great basket full of boardgames, movies and snacks, which was really awesome.

And then they swam until the pool closed.

Saturday – 3.5 miles

I was hopeful that Mr PugRunner would want to go out with me to check out a new running route, but he wasn’t up for it when the alarm went off. Fair enough. I was a little uncertain about going on my own, so I just stuck around the neighborhood. I got a late start and it was way too hot for anything more than a soggy 3.5 miles.

We had friends coming over for dinner, and planned for a lovely evening with fajitas and s’mores on the fire pit.

I made the first guacamole of the summer

and enjoyed it with a margarita.

We got to bed super-late, but it was completely worth it.

My goals for this week include getting back down to business. Little man is going to start swimming lessons (he can swim, sort of, but he is going to learn actual strokes and should be able to do a full lap in the pool when he is done), and he will be getting ready for his first karate competition. Eek!

How was your week in review?

If you are a guacamole lover like me, how do you make it?

43 Responses to weekly report: 6.8 – 6.14

1. Am I a guacamole lover?! Ummmm…. yes. Anything avocado really. That one you made looks delicious! I’ve only made it a couple of times, and it’s not a great recipe that I have. I usually just get it at a local farm to table restaurant near me. SO GOOD!
    Looks like you had a great week! I’m so jealous that you’re so close to Orlando. I NEED TO GO TO HOGWARTS!
    My mileage was practically nonexistent this week. I skipped Tuesday after getting kicked in the head, ran 3 Thursday… and that was it. Oops.
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Saratoga Classic Horse Show Week 1 Quick UpdateMy Profile

Ugh. How are you feeling from that? Did you get a concussion?

The one I make is so easy: mash up avocado, diced red onion, diced tomato and corn. I add lime juice, salt and pepper, and bam. Done. I guess you can add cilantro, but I’m not the biggest fan.

Come down and go to Hogwarts! I’ll meet you for a butter beer!

2. Maureen says:

Oh my gosh! Margaritas and guacamole are the ultimate summer treat!
    Maureen recently posted…Weekend Snapshots 3My Profile

3. Anne says:

I. Am. So. Jealous that you elders at universal! I have had a major theme park craving lately and that’s my favorite :))
    Anne recently posted…How To Make Your Post-Vacation Transition Awesome!My Profile

4. Love your new Saucony’s! Let’s see… guac… I keep it simple: avocado, lime juice, salt, garlic, and diced tomato – maybe some jalepeno if I’m feeling fancy.
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie {vegan, gluten free}My Profile

5. Looks like a fun trip! It ‘s been really hot here too!
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Red, White & Blueberry Kale SaladMy Profile

6. Sounds like a fun week!

Altho I’m not a great cook, I do make really good guac. I need to make some! My family’s been asking.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Water water everywhere!My Profile

7. I LOVE guacamole! too bad I’m allergic to avocados (I know, it’s awful…) Looks like a fun week and I’m loving those Saucony Guides!
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…Workouts, Weekend & Launches!My Profile

Now I’m craving guac. I got some yellow tomatoes at the tri expo so maybe I’ll throw them in. Love your new shoes!
    Marcia recently posted…Meatless Monday MatchaMy Profile

9. Breaking in new shoes is always so much fun! Its like Christmas day for runners!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training – Week 6My Profile

10. jill conyers says:

I love guac! Actually my whole family loves it. We make it often and the avocados are so good right now.
    jill conyers recently posted…Double Chocolate Oatmeal SnackMy Profile

11. Bri says:

That guacamole and margarita looks soooo good! Also love those shoes! The Saucony Kinvara trail shoes are my go-to, I’ve been wearing the same model (but new shoes) for the last 3 years and love them.
    Bri recently posted…My 2015 goals progress updateMy Profile

12. I make guacamole with a meat chopper (from pampered chef!). That margarita looks awesome and I’m jealous of your trip to Universal–so fun!
    Kate @KateMovingForward recently posted…Spiralize Yourself Healthy: 8 Delicious RecipesMy Profile

13. jan says:

I looooooove guac so much that I really can’t comprehend people that don’t like it!! Mmmm. Guac + chips + a cold beer = perfection.
    jan recently posted…InstagramMy Profile

14. love that you can just pop over to universal. How fun!!
    Courtney @ eat pray run dc recently posted…The Weekend Update, WV EditionMy Profile

15. I am a guacamole lover! My recipe is: 3 avocado, 1tbsp cumin, 1btsp garlic powder, a bunch of chopped cilantro, 2 diced roma tomatos, 1 diced vidalia onion, 1 diced jalapeno pepper, juice of one lime. Mix, but not too thoroughly – I like it a little chunky.
    John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted…Where bullet points quell the silenceMy Profile

16. Angie says:

I am already sick of summer! I am forced to push the double stroller while running the rest of the month. It makes running in the heat even worse. I am calling June a wash, and starting fresh in July.
    Angie recently posted…And they are goneMy Profile

17. I am actually not a fan of guacamole or avocado. My husband has to make it himself if he wants it 🙂 Sounds like a fun time at Universal. My oldest would die to see that Transformer exhibit!

The Transformer ride and character meet & greet are awesome! I used to really dislike avocado. But then I had it prepared just the right way and was a fan for life.

18. Carmy says:

I <3 my super feet! (I have them in green!)
    Carmy recently posted…RACE REPORT: Nike Women’s 15K, TorontoMy Profile

19. Toni says:

Looks like fun at universal I can’t wait to go back! Guac and margaritas are my favorite thing ever!
    Toni recently posted…Weekly Workout Wrap-Up, K-Fit Challenge Week 4My Profile

20. We really are shoe twins! I run in mizunos and just added saucony guides to my rotation 🙂 I love the color of yours!
    Patty @ Reach Your Peak recently posted…Survey Time – Thanks For Your Feedback!My Profile