weekly wrap: 1.7.17 – 1.13.17

Happy Monday, Happy New Year and Happy Back To The Grind!  It’s time for the Weekly Wrap with HoHo Runs and Taking The Long Way Home!

If you do a weekly recap post, this is a great way to check in with other active bloggers for extra support, sharing and accountability!

What a whirlwind! I threw myself back into regular life with a vengeance and had such a fabulous week to show for it!

Sunday – 4.2 miles, running

I didn’t care that it was freezing out. I needed to run. I was pleasantly thrilled that my ladies wanted to join me. It felt amazing.

My parents came over to watch some football that afternoon. It was nice to see them after so long away.

Monday – Deck of Cards workout

We met in the gym and hit up another deck of cards workout. At the end of our session, we had completed 105 of each of these activities and I spent a few minutes on the elliptical.

I had a full day of work, and didn’t get home until dinnertime. After all our travels, it was not the most fun thing, but such is life.

Tuesday – 7 miles, running

I was still pretty sore, but seven miles felt amazing.

We also had a rather chill evening. I made a yummy baked potato soup for dinner, because it was so cold and yucky out. It’s one of my favorites.

Wednesday – 10-2 workout

We started with seven minutes on the bike to warm up, and then did a session that started with 10 crunches and 10 dumbbell snatches, with two burpees, and then decreased to nine and nine with two burpees, all the way down to one. At the end, I spent 15 minutes walking on the treadmill. I am getting into this gym stuff.

Mr PugRunner took little man to karate so I could work on some things around the house. We still had some Christmas decorations up that needed to be handled. Oops.

Thursday – 6.5 miles, running

Another great session. I thought about going a little longer, but with two races coming up on the weekend, 6.5 miles felt like enough.

After school, little man went to an extra karate class to make sure he was ready for his next belt test. He ended up staying to train with one of the black belt students, and Mr PugRunner said he was really into it. I’m looking forward to his test day.

When that was finished, I took him to cub scouts. We worked on a music advancement, and the kids wrote songs and made their own instruments out of some craft materials. I love seeing their creativity at work.

Friday – rest

Blessedly, it was a rest day, although I still had to set my alarm.

For four hours, I helped with packet pickup for Best Damn Race Jacksonville. I’m always happy to give back to the running community when I can, especially when it’s for an event I love so much.

She arrived at about 5:30 and after catching up, we went out to dinner for more chit chat and to fuel for the next day’s race. I love that even though we don’t see each other often, we can pick up right where we left off.

Saturday – Best Damn Race Jacksonville 10K

After a slightly warmer end of week, the weekend was, quite literally, FREEZING. Ugh. Meghan and I had no idea how to dress, so we layered up the best we could. Gloves, lots of extra tops and the works. Brrr.

The new course for the race was pretty nice, but we were glad to get out of the wind and weather.

After we collected our medals and took our pictures, we went to get a delicious breakfast at Maple Street

and hit the road for Jekyll Island. We would be running in the inaugural Jekyll Island Marathon & 10K (the 10K for us) and couldn’t wait!

We checked into the Westin Jekyll Island early in the afternoon and were so excited to start exploring.

After a lovely day and a delicious dinner, we were ready to turn in.

We both fell fast asleep and had a great night’s rest.

I am really proud of myself for keeping up with the cross training so far, and now that the initial soreness has worn off, I’m feeling great. I know that non-running activities will help my running overall, and I am thrilled to be able to fit something into my schedule again. I hope to keep it all going!

How was your week in training and workouts?

Is the weather crazy by you or is it typical for the season?

33 Responses to weekly wrap: 1.7.17 – 1.13.17

1. Congrats on your races! Can’t wait to hear the details 🙂
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Black Cat Week 2 Wrap UpMy Profile

2. Meghan says:

So much fun this weekend!

3. What a fun-filled week you had! I too am incorporating some cross training into this year’s plan. I’ve mostly focused on running in the past and now want to work on strength.
    The Accidental Marathoner recently posted…Riding the Winter Running RollercoasterMy Profile

4. you all had another busy week of fun and travel! Look forward to hearing about your races. Like the looks of your deck of cards workout
    Deborah Brooks recently posted…Vegetable Enchilada Lasagna Meatless MondayMy Profile

5. The weather here in San Diego has been a little weird in that it was 80 degrees on Sunday (don’t kill me!).

That deck of cards workout looks cool!
    Nicole @ fitnessfatale recently posted…The Most Comfortable & Stylish Maternity Workout Clothes ($50 Gift Card Giveaway!)My Profile

6. Rachel says:

What a great week! And don’t feel bad about the Christmas decorations. We just took down our tree yesterday! Lol.
    Rachel recently posted…Healthy Ways to Stay Warm in the WinterMy Profile

7. My Christmas decs are finally getting put away tonight. Most have been down since last weekend (like…a week ago), but the final stuff is getting put away for the next 10 months. Our Iowa weather has been crazy cold (again) after a few spring-like days early last week.
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…NonStop ActionMy Profile

8. Coco says:

Congrats on the 10K! I have a tough time pacing that distance. I think it should be “easy” because it’s “only” 6 miles, but that’s plenty far! I’m in a soup mode these days- baked potato sounds yummy!
    Coco recently posted…In A January FogMy Profile

Thank you! I love the 10K. It’s my favorite distance, and I just can’t seem to find many of them. My baked potato soup is so good (although I’m biased). I can’t make it often, and it’s always better as leftovers.

9. Kimberly G says:

Wow you had such a busy week! Great job this past weekend!
    Kimberly G recently posted…Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Training Recap – Week 3My Profile

10. Wendy says:

You know how big I am on the cross training! I think those workouts really contribute a lot to my runs. Glad to see you are enjoying it too!
    Wendy recently posted…Cold as IceMy Profile

I don’t know if I would say I’m enjoying it exactly, but I love the company, and the fact that we are picking our workouts instead of someone else making them up for us. It’s giving me a bit more control, and I am liking that. But yes, it’s good for runners to have that cross training and I know it will help me improve!

11. Elaine D says:

Congrats on the 10K! I went to college in Jacksonville and never experienced cold weather! I was surprised to see you were freezing at the race.

12. I wish I had an ounce of your motivation! I’m trying (again) to get back at it. 1 mile last night on the dreadmill. It’s not much, but I ran the entire thing. So it’s a start.
    This weather has been crazy everywhere. Our TX warehouse is closed today because of snow. In Texas! It was almost 60 here in CT on Friday, but was 9 by Saturday night. Mother nature needs to calm herself down!
    Congrats on TWO races this weekend!
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Truthful TuesdayMy Profile

<3 I think I'm at the point where it's just part of my day, like eating meals and going to work. It makes it a lot easier to be motivated when it's just something on the calendar and daily list.

Great job! A mile is a mile is a mile!

13. Great week and congrats on the 10k! Cross training is an area that I need to improve!
    Anna @ Piper’s Run recently posted…Jan 8- 14th Weekly Wrap & GoalsMy Profile

14. Great job on all of your workouts and congratulations on your races! I’ve never heard of a “deck of cards” workout! I am trying to keep up with cross training better this year too. Seems like a common goal for all of us runners!

15. Jessica says:

Ooh, baked potato soup sounds so good! I might have to add that to our menu soon!
    Jessica recently posted…Last Week’s Workouts: Energy City Half Marathon Training Week 2My Profile

16. Congrats on a successful week of training, especially during a busy week. Its those weeks that are the most challenging to fit all of the workouts in, but I also find them to be some of the most rewarding workouts.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4My Profile

17. HoHo Runs says:

Congrats on those races! It’s very cool you and Meghan ran two back to back races in two different cities! (I haven’t been to Jekyll Island since I was a little girl!) Great job on the cross training. I’m trying my best to get at least one session a week. It does make a big difference. Thanks for linking!