weekly wrap: 7.22.2018 – 7.28.2018

Happy Monday!  It’s time for the Weekly Wrap with HoHo Runs and Taking The Long Way Home!

If you do a weekly recap post, this is a great way to check in with other active bloggers for extra support, sharing and accountability.

Here’s the week in numbers:

Sunday – 5 miles, running
Monday – rest
Tuesday – 7 miles, running
Wednesday – rest
Thursday – 7 miles, running
Friday – rest
Saturday – 1.25 miles, stand up paddleboard

July is coming to a close. Can you believe it? Furthermore, we go back to school on August 10, so everything is in full planning mode. We got a bit of crazy news: even though our school has only been open for one year, we are getting a new principal! It was a bit of a shock (and we wish our old principal best of luck in the next phase of his journey), but obviously, it’s one more stressor to the year. Stay tuned on that.

Sunday – miles, running

I woke up, raring to go on Sunday. It promised to be a crazy day.

First, five miles of running.

I rushed home to make breakfast for the family. It was the first day of Shark Week, and I wanted to make it special.

And then it was time for one of the hardest things I’ve ever done: dropping little man off at Webelos Resident Camp. He would spend  Sunday afternoon through Wednesday morning at a Scout-specific camp, about 90 minutes from our home. We would not be camping with him, nor would we have any contact with him (unless there was some kind of emergency) until we saw him again on Wednesday. While there, he would be earning two of his Arrow of Light Adventures, as well as two Electives, and would also participate in archery, BB guns, swimming. climbing the rock wall, crafts and campfire programs.

The weather was absolutely awful when we checked in and made our way to his campsite, but he had a poncho and a great attitude, so we got him set up in a tent and headed home.

It was absolutely insane not being able to know what he was doing or how he was feeling, and I couldn’t relax the slightest little bit, not even with a cocktail.

Monday – rest

It was a rough night – I didn’t sleep well, and neither did Molly. When the alarm went off, I didn’t really think twice about bailing on the planned run. I just didn’t have it in me.

It was a long day. I watched some Shark Week shows and worked on some Scout stuff for next year, but mostly just worked on keeping myself distracted.

By the evening, Mr PugRunner broke down and messaged the camp. Apparently, the weather had been awful with high winds and storms, and he just wanted reassurance that everyone was ok. The Camp Director was very gracious and let us know that the kids were fine and adjustments had been made to keep them safe during the bouts of bad weather. It would have been nice to chat with little man, but I felt a little better after the communication.

Tuesday – 7 miles, running

I had a lot of pent up, nervous energy, so seven miles seemed reasonable.

That evening, it was out with some girlfriends to Treylor Park. It was really good to see them both and catch up. And I was more than happy to devour this Grilled Apple Pie sandwich (cheddar, crispy bacon and cinnamon apples). Yum.

Wednesday – rest

It was pickup day!!!!!! We had to be at the camp by 9:00 AM, and I could not WAIT to get on the road.

We arrived, got to the office, and one of the counselors brought him out to us. I think he probably grew two inches during the last few days.

He chattered the entire hour-long ride to IHOP (we figured he would be ravenous and figured a huge breakfast of pancakes would do the trick). He made some new friends, learned lots of cool stuff, and even though he was a little homesick, he got through it. We couldn’t have been more proud.

Thursday – 7 miles, running

Seven felt good again. Due to the heat and humidity, our pace has really suffered. If I can’t go faster, the plan is to go longer.

Afterwards, little man went to his friend’s house and I went with S to meet the new principal. Any concerns about the transition disappeared pretty much immediately. It’s going to be a great school year.

I had also promised him that we would look into a real hiking backpack for future camping trips. He does plan to continue into Boy Scouts after he completes the Cub level, which means more trips on his own. We ended up at REI, where he had an entire pack fitting! We walked out with an Osprey Ace 50, which will apparently last him through high school.

Later that evening, we had our first official PTA Team Meeting. We had a yummy dinner, got to know one another a little better, and talked about our ideas, the calendar, and the next few upcoming events. We also got little goodie bags with our volunteer t-shirts and name tags. I especially love the quote on our shirts.

It’s a fabulous group of women and it’s going to be an incredible year.

Friday – rest

Obviously, I stayed up way past my bedtime and was looking forward to a little bit of a sleep in on Friday morning. However, the boys were getting a bit of an early start – they had a camping trip planned with another dad and his son.

Also on the agenda? Taking Bentley to the vet. He’s been getting awful ear infections, and over the past few days, another one cropped up that was causing him quite a bit of discomfort. I had an afternoon appointment for him, and I was a little nervous about it. First, it’s always nerve-racking when a pup is older and you never know quite what’s going on, and second, he’s not particularly in love with me handling him, so getting him in and out of the car and the office was going to be a challenge.

We all headed out in different directions. Bentley proved to be very compliant, and the diagnosis is infection and ruptured ear drum. We won’t have the culture results until Tuesday, and we briefly discussed food allergies as a possible cause. So, he’s on a topical treatment, oral antibiotic and pain medication and a brand new salmon kibble. He’s feeling much better.

Saturday – 1.2 miles, stand up paddleboard

I didn’t have the most restful night, and slacked on the running front. Whoops.

My plan was to meet the boys at their campsite for a little while, and then take care of all Bentley’s medications in the afternoon. It was so hot, so we first enjoyed a shaded bike ride to the adjacent Farmer’s Market (which we need to do more often), where we scored these gorgeous cherries.

And then we rented some kayaks and SUPs and took them out on the inlet.

The wind was picking up, but it was a beautiful day on the water, and I was so happy to find out that even though I haven’t been on a board all summer, I was still really comfortable.

We had lunch together and then it was back home for some pug-nursing.


This week was definitely full of learning experiences for all of us. While I loved seeing little man be so independent and have the opportunity to explore and do things completely on his own, it was so stressful letting it happen. He was totally ready, although he did confess to missing us, and he said that he wants to do it again, but only after camping with us some more, too. Fair enough, little buddy.

I am also really looking forward to our neighborhood gym opening up next weekend. While it won’t have a ton of equipment, there will be enough for some cross training moves, and it will be so incredibly convenient.

As tomorrow is the last day of July, I’m proud to point out that I am wrapping up the month with 87.17 miles out of my planned 80 and I am at about 610 miles out of 1000, with five months to go. It’s definitely a boost to the ego, and I’m going to ride the wave.

How was your week in training?

Shark Week? Yay or nay?

Have you ever experienced sleep away camp (as a child or as the parent of a child who went)? How was it for you?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

26 Responses to weekly wrap: 7.22.2018 – 7.28.2018

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.