week 4(20): unassisted walking for the win!

You read that correctly: I am rocking the unassisted walking (for the most part). This week marked the entrance to my next phase of recovery, and it has been quite the learning curve. My body is absolutely freaking out with all the changes.

Sunday – pt exercises

We had a quiet day. Little man came home from his overnight campout and we helped him get unpacked and organized. After the morning’s drizzle, everything was pretty gross and needed a good wipe down and drying.

Monday – 6 weeks post-op appointment

If you didn’t read about Monday’s update, I’ll link it here. For me, it was a very emotional day, full of anxiety and crying. My six weeks post-op went as planned, my healing is on track, and my surgeon prescribed some things to help with my residual nerve pain. Did I walk out of that office on my own two feet? Yup.

six weeks post op

Of course, after that, I was spent. I broke down several times that evening, from sheer exhaustion and relief. Poor Mr PugRunner had to keep talking me through my tears. Now that I was able to manage unassisted walking, the emotions just couldn’t be stopped.

Tuesday – rest

I was spent from Monday and so I took a bit of a rest day. Despite how awful I felt, I did make it a point to get out of bed and go downstairs, but I was dreaming of naps all day.

My new medication also makes me a bit groggy, so it was a good idea for me to stay close to my couch in cozy leggings and slippers. I chose these because they are bulky, and the pugs hate them, which means they wouldn’t be bumping my foot much.

unassisted walking

I was able to take a glorious nap in the afternoon, which made everything so much better. Naps are my favorite and I’ve been avoiding them so that I get to sleep better at night. This time, I couldn’t resist.

Wednesday – pt exercises

Wednesday brought with it a nasty headache. I wasn’t sure if it was hormones or getting used to the meds, but it lingered all day.

On a fun note, my first Nuun order arrived and I am so excited for my favorite flavors and new trucker!

unassisted walking

Thursday – pt exercises

My parents came over for breakfast and a visit on Thursday. It was nice to have them, even though I got a little groggy by the end of their stay.

Since little man doesn’t have any extra activities on Thursday afternoons, I asked him if he would help me with my PT exercises. Everyone got in on the action.

unassisted walking

Friday – pt exercises + glutes

Friday turned out to be a long day. Mr PugRunner had to work late, and little man had to pack and tidy up before going to my parents house for the night. Papa came over and brought pizza for dinner and then they headed out. Mr PugRunner had a meeting and I started watching The Morning Show while I was alone. What a gut punch. I highly recommend it.

Saturday – stationery bike + chest + core + pt exercises

Mr PugRunner wanted to get me out for a bit and suggested we get to the gym for some bike riding. I am cleared for the stationery bike, and so I gave that a go.

unassisted walking

I also threw in some reps on the shoulder/chest press machine, Russian twist and V-ups with the weighted ball and donkey kicks. Right now, there aren’t a lot of options for glutes and thighs, so I’m trying to do what I can.

And on a lighter note:

unassisted walking

This dog is not spoiled at all. Now, she’s getting rides in the laundry basket.

Little man got home later in the afternoon – they had trekked down to Daytona for the farmer’s/flea market and some outlet shopping. He had just enough time to change and then head out with Mr PugRunner for dinner and service hours with his Scout troop.

Goal-getting

So my big goal has been to get walking unassisted, and we’ve achieved that! Yay!

I will restart at PT on Monday. This week, I had to take it easy as I adjusted to life without a boot and medication for my nerve pain. I usually don’t take anything stronger than Tylenol so this was a bit of an adjustment.

There is, however, good news and bad news. The bad news is that I will miss Best Damn Race Safety Harbor this upcoming weekend. We planned a fabulous getaway with a rental house full of running buddies, the 10K + 5K challenge and lots of fun. Since I’m still not driving, I won’t get to attend even as cheer squad, and I am so sad.

Making up for it, however, is the Sisterhood Conference I’ll attend in February for the St. Augustine Moms. I’ll have a ride and I feel confident that I will be strong enough to attend sessions, as well as put in some time at the parks. So that’s exciting.

walking unassisted

Also, I’m attending this incredible event, handling social media, this week. The 5th Annual SOUPer Bowl is a fundraiser to help put an end to student hunger in our county. Even though I don’t have a child in the high school where this is a service project, I am so glad to lend a hand (and even more glad that I will be well enough to go!)

And so it’s off on the next leg of this (endless) journey.

I am linking up with the Weekly Rundown, with Confessions of A Mother Runner and Running on the Fly! Check them out!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is weekly-run-down-final-300x300.jpg

Will you be joining me at any of the Best Damn Races? Don’t forget to register with my BDR discount code RUNSWITHPUGS to save on any distance at any BDR location! Remember, the code for Safety Harbor will expire on 1/17 so don’t miss out!

bdr discount code

How was your week in training?

Do new medications throw you for a loop?

45 Responses to week 4(20): unassisted walking for the win!

1. Darlene S. Cardillo says:

Unassisted walking. Yay.

You’ll be running before you know it.

2. Laurie says:

Yay you! Walking unassisted again. Those pug slippers are priceless. Perfect for you. It was nice that your son helped you with your PT exercizes. You are getting the whole family into the act! πŸ™‚
    Laurie recently posted…Finding Inspiration To Be MeMy Profile

3. Kim G says:

Look at that smile on your face in the photo from Monday – I love to see it!

That souper bowl event is such a great idea! I don’t think we have anything like that here, but a local bar is holding a puppy bowl type event that will have adoptable animals and proceeds from drinks go to a local animal shelter.

4. Great job on all your progress! Keep it up πŸ™‚

5. This is great to read! Onward!
    Deborah Brooks recently posted…Weekly Run Down Just Doing JanuaryMy Profile

6. Jessie says:

Unassisted walking? And no more boot already?? Amazing! You are doing great.

7. Wendy says:

Hooray to getting back to a semblance of normal. Walking unassisted? Attending your sisterhood conference? This is such good news!

8. Yes! Yes! Yes! You’ve worked so hard to get here, keep it up!
    Beckett @ Birchwood Pie recently posted…Weekly Sweats: A Non Sponsored (lol) Thread Up HaulMy Profile

9. Coco says:

Yay! This is a huge milestone. I’m sure your recovery will keep gaining momentum, but it’s also important to keep resting when you can!

10. Catrina says:

Well done, Jenn! You look good on that stationary bike!
    So sorry you will miss out on the Best Damn Race Safety Harbor this upcoming weekend. But then you have the Sisterhood Conference to look forward to in February. Good for you for looking at the bright side!

11. Shathiso says:

Yay!!!!!! This is the news I was hoping to see! I’m so pleased for you. You’ve had such a rough ride but getting to this point is a big step towards your full recovery!

12. You are making so much progress! I know some days are still rough but overall just look at where you are compared to a few weeks ago! Hopefully you will continue to feel better and better.

It can be really hard to see when you’re in the thick of it, and I’m still so uncomfortable. I would feel so much better if I could just find a good position in which to sit LOL.

13. Sorry you’ll miss the race this weekend, but I’m so glad you’re moving in the right direction! Yay for losing the boot especially! Hope things progress quickly for you and you’re feeling much better soon.

14. Chaitali says:

Yay, that’s great news about the unassisted walking! I hope that things continue to progress well πŸ™‚
    Chaitali recently posted…Pike’s Peek 10k Training Week 1My Profile

15. Michelle D. says:

Unassisted walking for the win! It’s great to hear that you continue to make great progress

And your pug slippers are too cute πŸ˜‰

16. Wendy says:

Such an exciting week for you! I understand all the emotions. Does it hurt to bear weight on your leg? You’ve made such great progress.

You know, the pain sensations I get aren’t actually near the breaks. The bottom of my foot hurts sometimes, and there is this annoying spot on the inside of my heel that twinges. I get some aches up the sides of my leg where the muscles have atrophied, but the nerve pain is truly what is getting to me. Although that’s definitely easing up now, so yay.

17. I’m so sorry that you’ll have to miss the BDR race, but you have other fun things on your calendar! I’m finally looking to maybe add more to mine (things had really been on a hold a long time).

Unassisted walking is awesome. So is your pug in the laundry basket — although I’m shuddering at all the shedding on laundry!

Lola is 14, and we think she may be beginning to have heart problems. It’s been coming on slowly, but it’s sad to think about losing her. Although I expect to have some good quality time with her yet, and she’s still a pretty happy girl.

A huge hooray for unassisted walking! You’ve been through so much and you’re handling it all like a champ. That laundry basket ride is hilarious! I swear these dogs have it good!

19. Oh wow, this is a big deal!! I just read your recap of the appointment. What a roller coaster of emotions. I understand how it can be!! Hoping it’s all good news from here on out. Love the slippers πŸ™‚
    Lisa @ TechChick Adventures recently posted…GCM training – week 3, ups and downsMy Profile

20. De Bolton says:

Aw shucks!! You’re on your way. Your journey was similar to mine. I am so happy for you. I understand the victory in unassisted walking. Wishing you many more miles Chica!

21. Great to see the steps that you’re taking towards a full recovery!

22. That is great news!!! I am so happy for you. My cats are spoiled. My sister and I are guilty of it. We don’t mind because they’re our babies. πŸ™‚
    Zenaida Arroyo recently posted…Random Thoughts Thursday 109My Profile

23. Cari says:

Puppy Pugpy? in the laundey basket is too cute!
    Cari recently posted…2020 PT Week 3/4: Return to RacingMy Profile