running fomo: a runfession/coffee date mashup

My running FOMO is real and here to stay and I am so happy to have both the Runfessions and Ultimate Coffee Date linkups to bare my “sole.”

Are you ready?

running fomo

Let’s chat.

Over coffee, I would runfess….

That after the last few days, running feels closer. Not close, mind you, but closer. My nerve pain is better controlled and my energy level is higher. I don’t want to jinx anything, but I do feel … better. There will still be ups and downs, I’m sure, and next Runfessions day, I may be an emotional wreck again, but for right now, I’m going with it. After all, that running FOMO is real and I can’t wait to make it come true.

running fomo

Over coffee, I would runfess….

That a friend loaned me a knee scooter, and I wasn’t too sure about using it. Technically, I am mobile and walking. However, I tried it out last night and it’s such a nice thing to have “just in case.” Even though I’m improving, there’s no getting around the fact that I am not at full-strength. And much as it hurts my pride, I have to be ok with using assistance when I need it.

running fomo

Over coffee, I would runfess….

That I am SO FREAKING SAD to be missing Best Damn Race Safety Harbor this weekend. First of all, everyone raves about this race and I was so excited for my first time. We had plans to stay in a fabulous house and take on all our different race goals this weekend. My running FOMO is at embarrassingly high levels as I am going to miss all the fun with so many members of my BDR Ambassador Crew.

running fomo

Over coffee, I would runfess….

That this injury is messing with my head and making me think I want to run a second marathon. My running FOMO was ignited as so many running friends and acquaintance took on the Dopey Challenge and WDW Marathon a few weeks ago, and it got me thinking that I should try 26.2 again. Just to say I did. Spite marathons are probably the worst idea, but that’s what happens when a runner is left unsupervised during a long recovery.

running fomo

Over coffee, I would runfess…

That I miss how things used to be. I miss my independence and my friends and the things I used to do. I know it isn’t forever, but sometimes, it gets lonely, and my running FOMO and regular FOMO combine into an epic FOMO storm. Bleh.

Today we are linking up with ….

Marcia’s Healthy Slice for January’s Runfessions.

runfessions

And the Ultimate Coffee Date with  Coco and Deborah !

Please be sure to link up and share with all these lovely bloggers!

What would you runfess over coffee?

36 Responses to running fomo: a runfession/coffee date mashup

1. Hang in there 🙂 You’re getting closer everyday to lacing up and getting back outside. Trust me, you will have a whole new appreciation for everything when this recovery period ends.

2. Elaine says:

I hear your confidence building with the hope of going for a run in the near future! I understand that after a long running break you’d want to run a marathon. That’s what usually happens to me after a break but I’ve made a pact with myself to only run one every other year.

3. Wendy says:

You’re getting closer to your norm! Running will happen soon. Excited for when that happens again!

You crack me up with your “spite marathon” idea! I’m so bummed for you that you’ll miss Best Damn Race but you’re progressing SO nicely and doing SO great. You will be back! Definitely take advantage of that scooter.

5. missing races is never easy. You are getting closer every day. The knee scooter seems like a nice help when you need it

6. Laurie says:

Yeah, spite marathons are probably a bad idea. I am a retired teacher. I can remember several kids scooting around on those knee scooters after injuries. They seemed to be having fun. It’s nice to have just in case.

7. I’m glad that you’re at least open to assistance. My Dad fell so much because he thought he could still walk unassisted. Beyond aggravating. OTOH, I know that you’re young, and that makes it that much harder to do — but better safe than sorry, right? We all need some help sometimes!

I am so sorry you’re missing on a fun weekend. I understand, too, my running friends are planning one for the Fall & it’s highly unlikely I’ll be able to go.

Like you said, though, life has ups & downs, and there will be a lot more ups for you in the future — hang on!

Definitely better safe than sorry. I feel so guilty just sitting around, especially when I CAN do some things. My husband is rushing around prepping the house for a little Super Bowl gathering and I’m just on my butt, doing blogging work. I feel awful but I can’t help cook and I’m tired after standing to fold the laundry and running an errand. 🙁

8. Coco says:

Yay! I am so glad you are feeling optimistic. That mental health boost will make a big difference. A lot of women in my MRTT group have used knee scooters during recovery.

9. Oh Jenn, I feel for you and I think you’re right that running will be back soon. I’m also pretty sure that the next big struggle will be not doing too much too soon, but you’ll find your way through that. And after that, FOMO no more because you’re going to come back stronger than ever.
    Beckett @ Birchwood Pie recently posted…Weekly Eats: Winner, Winner, Chicken DinnerMy Profile

10. Catrina says:

Oh, I feel you on the FOMO!! I felt like an outcast and at times really lonely when I couldn’t take part in races. But you’ll see, once you’re back to running, you’ll enjoy it even more!!

11. Kim G says:

I’m so glad to hear that your energy levels are getting higher – that’s an awesome sign!

12. I know it’s hard but you really are doing great! Before you know it you will be back to running and racing. But hey, it may not be a bad idea to spend this down time planning for your next marathon:)

13. Michelle D. says:

I’m so glad running feels closer! You are progressing so well. Hang in there!

BTW I had to laugh at the term “spite marathon” – never say never, right?

14. It sure is hard not to run when you want to. Fingers crossed that you’ll be running again soon.

15. It sounds like you are recovering well and it won’t be long! I love the knee scooter and I am glad you are using it when you need it!!

16. Farrah says:

I’m really glad that you’re feeling better-ish–I hope you continue to improve + recover every day! It’s definitely hard, but you’ll get back out there soon! <3

17. I know it’s hard to be injured and be surrounded by so many friends and SM followers doing all the races. I’m glad to hear that you are making progress and getting closer! The good thing is that this is only temporary!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Ultimate Coffee Date – February 2020My Profile

18. You are getting closer!!! No shame in using the scooter if you need a break. You should go for the 26.2!!! Running FOMO is real!
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…New word (s). Say Yes! It’s 2020My Profile

See? This is how it happens. I say something like “I think I’m going to run a spite marathon” and people say “Great idea! You should!” And the next thing you know, I’m registered!