belt problem solved

During the Tower of Terror 10 Miler, I learned something very important. For my long runs, I was going to need to figure out a way to carry my fuel.

When I train, I carry a handheld water bottle, with a little pouch attached, in which I can keep my energy chews or Honeystinger waffles. However, when I go to races, I leave my bottle at home, leaving me with  limited places to store things. At one point, I tried an armband to hold my phone and some incidentals, but it annoyed me and I ditched it.

At Tower of Terror, I shoved everything in my sports bra. During the run, it wasn’t a  problem, but afterwards, I had some really lovely chafing from the plastic ziploc where I kept my fuel. Not wanting a repeat at Space Coast, I dedicated myself to finding some kind of apparatus that would hold my fuel, my keys, my phone (which also managed to find its way into my sports bra from time to time) and anything else I needed to carry, without irritating me.

Since the armband didn’t work out so well, it looked like I was going to have to go with a belt. Belts kind of scared me. Primarily, because I’m vain and really didn’t want anything calling any kind of attention to my tummy when cinched around my waist. I also didn’t need anything to hold water bottles, and so I wasn’t sure if I would find a belt system that would  meet my criteria.

Enter Hips Sister.

I found the Hips Sister while browsing online one day and it looked like it would be perfect for me. A 5″ wide strip of flexible fabric that sits on your hips, with a zippered pocket in the back and one right across the front hip.

I went with the Left Coast model, and I wanted it in black with gray zippers, but it was on backorder, so I had the option to change to black/black or black/pink. I decided to keep it basic, and went with the black/black. I did appreciate that I was allowed to adjust my order after it was placed so I could get it on time.

The fabric was really nice and lightweight, but not too thin. The fit was perfect, sitting flat on my hips. I slipped it on, put my phone in the front hip pocket, my keys in the back pocket, and headed out for a 4.5 mile run.

It. Was. Perfect. There was very little movement or sliding up and down during my run. I didn’t even feel the weight of the phone and things in it. You couldn’t even see it underneath my shirt. I loved it so much and I think it’s going to be perfect for many long runs to come.

It will be especially nice when I am running on my own and don’t feel like checking a bag. Not only will I be able to carry my phone, fuel and keys, but also my ID, a card, some cash and other little things that are probably a good idea to have with me.

I have to rate this as one of the best purchases I’ve made in a while.

What is your favorite way to carry things during your training runs and races?

Do you have a Hips Sister?

*This is not a sponsored post. I purchased the Left Coast Hips Sister out of my own pocket with my own money. I absolutely love this product and wanted to share my thoughts on it for those who might be in the market for an awesome belt.

30 Responses to belt problem solved

1. FiddleDeeAsh says:

I was hoping you’d do a review of this. I’ve found I’m really starting to hate all of my fuel belts and I’m trying to find something new for January. I might have to get one of these for myself.
    FiddleDeeAsh recently posted…The Hunger Games: Catching Fire DVD Prize Pack GiveawayMy Profile

2. Kathy says:

I guess I need to put this one on my Christmas list! Thanks for the input! I will be putting in more miles.. and it certainly looks like a great solution… especially for keys at a destination run.

I have a SPI Belt and it works fine. I also have a RunningSkirt.com skirt which has a pocket on each side.
    Darlene recently posted…StreakingMy Profile

4. My running skirts have three pockets so I typically just use those, I’ll have to look into this for when it’s cooler and I’m running in capri’s though!
    Kristin @ A Mom on the Run recently posted…Weekly Workout Recap: November 4th – November 17thMy Profile

5. Lisa says:

It’s been awhile since I’ve run long enough that I needed anything more than a handheld bottle. but I do have a fuel belt that holds several small bottles and it has a zippered pocket.

I can see the value in having a zippered pouch/belt like that though. Truth be told, I don’t carry my phone on my runs (last time I did, I lost it!) but I really should. And as you said, there are times when carrying ID, cash, etc would also be handy.
    Lisa recently posted…ReflectionsMy Profile

6. Kathy Nguyen says:

I love the Flip Belt. Also sits flat on hips and you can’t feel it. I used it for my half. Loved it!
    Kathy Nguyen recently posted…Wordless Wednesday – Soldiers Swag and a few LaughsMy Profile

7. Looks great. I usually stash everything in my CamelBak, but I was screwed when MCM suddenly did not allow them.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…Stepping Up For Better HealthMy Profile

8. I have a flip belt, my only beef with it is that it’s not sweat proof and my phone gets all sweaty. How does this belt do with sweat?
    ari @ whatarisaid recently posted…making a list, checking it twice…My Profile

9. Suzan says:

I’m glad to see this worked so well. I have a spi belt that I use, but sometimes still end up fiddling with it. I tried the Flip belt on my last half (my sister had bought one at the expo) and that thing moved like it was in a Zumba class. It was all over the place and I could never find the pockets. I ended up shoving almost everything into my sports bra by the end of the race. 🙁
    Suzan recently posted…Dogs, Dolls and Double FeatureMy Profile

10. Elizabeth says:

I just bought a belt to carry my fuel and phone. I haven’t tried it out yet but if it doesn’t work out I will try the Hip Sister. Thanks for reviewing it! 🙂
    Elizabeth recently posted…Five Random Things FridayMy Profile

11. jan says:

Wow, that is actually cute! I might have to try one of those for my phone and keys in the summer.
    jan recently posted…A Few of my Favorite ThingsMy Profile

12. Looks like a handy holder! I run with my phone in my pocket or my Spibelt.
    Tina@GottaRunNow recently posted…Bobcats & BQ’s!My Profile

13. ooo I’ve never even seen this but love my SPIBelt. Its so useful having a little pouch to carry things without chafing. I discovered your blog through the Miles to Blog directory and am loving it so far!

14. I just bought a fuel belt in September; I have to have water with me so I don’t know that this one would work for me but the one I bought is very similar, just with attached water bottles. SO glad I don’t have to stuff things in my pockets anymore!
    Kristen @ The Smith Summary recently posted…Wine and Dine Half Marathon Recap Part 3My Profile

I only usually have one pocket in the back of my capris (I don’t wear shorts and I only have one skirt), so this is super handy. I am not a big drinker while running. It leads to way to many bathroom hunts.

15. ok you definitely have me wondering if I shoudl try this. I’ve done a spibelt, but it bounces, so I’ve been afraid to try anything else
    Amanda – RunToTheFinish recently posted…Stretching is Not YogaMy Profile

16. Looks nice! I recently bought a flip belt but I haven’t tried it yet. If that doesn’t work out, I may have to get one of these!
    Brienna Nesting recently posted…Suitcase of Stars by Baccalario PierdomenicoMy Profile