rest day

Resting is not my thing. I’m not good at it. I don’t like it. It makes me feel guilty and unproductive.

However, sometimes, like today, it’s a necessary evil.

I’ve been burning the candle at both ends. Between school and baseball and getting back into training and other obligations, I’m flat out tired. I had a project on the calendar that was going to take a few days of work, but I found out last night that it was canceled, freeing me up for other things. This morning, when I woke up, I took one look at the torrential downpour outside and realized that I would not be getting out of my pajamas unless absolutely necessary.

I feel awful about it. There are tons of things and can and should be doing. I have to work on plans for little man’s upcoming birthday, do some serious spring cleaning, run some errands and organize closets. And yet, I’m sitting on a couch, watching Man of Steel, and not really making much of an effort to do anything more than that.

Ok. I did build the raised garden box for our backyard, but I am emphatically not going to pick up soil or trellises for the tomatoes. Maybe tomorrow.

We all need a break from time to time. I’ll be back on track tomorrow, but for today, I’m just going to try to enjoy a little bit of doing nothing.

Do you have days where you just can’t get yourself going?
Does bad weather completely suck away your motivation?

20 Comments
POSTED IN:

20 Responses to rest day

1. Lora says:

Isn’t it SO hard to rest? I had a bug last week and it was so hard to just slow down and get well! But so important to listen to your body!
    Lora recently posted…HELP! I found my first gray hair!!!My Profile

2. Diana says:

Sometimes resting is the hardest thing to do – but the most needed. Give yourself a break. You deserve some downtime!
    Diana recently posted…Bloomin’ Terrific – Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Race ReportMy Profile

3. I definitely have days where I can’t seem to want to do anything but want to be lazy, and sometimes I really enjoy days like that:) Usually after a lazy day, I find myself revived and ready to more after!
    Kristy @Runaway Bridal Planner recently posted…Big Sur, California – Travel TuesdayMy Profile

I find the opposite sometimes – if I have a day off, I just want to keep doing it! However, today is speed work and I have a bunch of things to get done around the house, so I have to do them!

4. Shoot girl, I always take at least one complete rest day per week, actually it’s today as I am reading this post!
    I like to take my rest days on the weekdays so I can sleep in a bit and help my body heal as much as possible.
    That being said, I agree that it isn’t always super easy to take rest days, but it definitely helps to remember that if I want to be a healthy capable runner, if I don’t allow my muscles to heal, they can’t maintain much less progress to improve!

LOL! I just hate doing it! And weekdays are super hard for sleeping in because we have to get little man up and out to school. Of course, that’s with the assumption that anything after 7:00 is sleeping in LOL! We’re just always so busy and even when we don’t have anything planned, things come up! But, it’s just something I need to improve on in myself.

5. I look forward to rest days! Although I do have days where my motivations is seriously lacking I try not to take unplanned rest days, but every now and then it’s necessary!
    Kristen @ The Smith Summary recently posted…I Get By With a Little Help from My FriendsMy Profile

6. Rest days are SO necessary. Don’t feel bad about it. You’ll be that much more productive after a rest. And yes, gloomy days are a motivation killer!

7. There’s nothing wrong with listening to your body and taking a break when you need it! Enjoy!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…6 Miles By the Bay!My Profile

8. Bad weather can kill my motivation, especially pouring rain.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…Loving LatelyMy Profile

9. jan says:

Rest days are HARD sometimes, I agree. Funny how sometimes it’s hard to run and sometimes it’s hard not to…mental battles are such a struggle.
    jan recently posted…Great Running LinksMy Profile

10. We all need to take some time off now and then to recuperate from our day-to-day. It’s not easy when you have a family that relies on you, but sometimes that’s just what our bodies need. Hope you get caught up and back in the saddle soon.
    Haley @ Running with Diapers recently posted…Spartan Up! – The New Book by Joe De SenaMy Profile

You make excellent sense and logically, I know you’re right! It’s been a long week, but I have some calm things planned for this weekend so hopefully that will get me recharged.