friday five: free choice

I am linking up for Friday Five, hosted by three amazing DC area bloggers:Mary at Mar On the Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?! and Courtney from Eat Pray Run, DC.  Feel free to join the fun with your own Friday Five post and be sure to visit the other blogs on the linkup!

DC_linkup

This week, the topic is Free Choice, and so I’m going to go with Five Places I Want To Visit in the United States.

I’m kind of in a travel mood.

1. Seattle

I’m an East Coast girl, born and raised. I’ve ventured out to the other side of the country for a few trips (LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas, namely), but I feel like I’m missing out on a lot.

2. Albuquerque

Specifically, The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.

I think it would be amazing to see all the hot air balloons over the gorgeous midwestern landscape. Plus, we have family in that area and it would be nice to visit.

3. Alaska

Whales and glaciers. That is all.

4. Arizona

Obviously, the Grand Canyon. Living in Florida, the idea of so much desert and so many mountains is just unfathomable to me. I imagine I could spend a week out there with my camera, snapping away.

5. Yellowstone National Park

Not much of a camper, but again, this kind of natural beauty is worth seeing at least once in a lifetime.

What are five places you would like to visit in the US?

Any places I should  add to my list?

Join the link up! Answer in the comments or create a Friday Five post of your own!

34 Responses to friday five: free choice

Hawaii, Alaska, Sedona, Nashville, San Francisco and more…
    Darlene recently posted…Runfessions FebruaryMy Profile

2. You have all my places on your list, but I also want to go to San Fransisco (Golden Gate bridge), Niagra Falls, Arches National Park (Utah), and the Black Hills of South Dakota. I’d also love to go to Forks, WA (yes, I’m a Twilight Fanatic lol)
    Amy @ Mama Running for God recently posted…Friday FiveMy Profile

3. Angie says:

Pacific Northwest, Maine, Washington, D.C., Alaska are on my list. I would love to visit all 50 states.
    Angie recently posted…That time I ran a marathon and my legs hated me for itMy Profile

I’m sure there’s something beautiful about each of the 50. I love traveling but it seems like I’ll never have enough time to make it to every place I want to go. DC is amazing. And it’s so great for kids.

4. jan says:

I’ve been to Seattle. It’s my favorite city ever. A close second place is Chicago. Have you been? There are so many things to do there and such a great variety of food! And great museums! And shopping! and the lake! 🙂 Yellowstone I’ve been to as well, and it’s not really high up on my loves. I feel like if you’ve seen the pics you’ve sort of already been there. Maybe I’m just weird that way.
    jan recently posted…CraftsMy Profile

I have been to Chicago, and I love it. It had such a great vibe and it’s definitely one of the cities I could see myself living.

That’s interesting about Yellowstone. I really have no basis of comparison. I have never seen ANYTHING like some of the sights in the midwest and it seems like it would be pretty cool. Not weird of you at all. We all like different things, so it’s nice to hear feedback.

5. seattle is delightful! you should definitely make your way out there!!
    Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC recently posted…Five Things I Will Miss About WinterMy Profile

I really want to! I mean, the idea of gray skies and rain isn’t super appealing, but it would be something so different for me. And apparently the food and the vibe is incredible.

6. Lindsey says:

Seattle is on my list of places to visit, too! 🙂
    Lindsey recently posted…Friday 5: Races to RunMy Profile

7. My husband and I love to travel to National Parks. Yellowstone is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been and I can’t wait to go back! It’s 100% worth all the travel involved to get there. The Grand Canyon is also amazing 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen @karenlovestorun recently posted…Friday Five 2/27: Fitness Wish ListMy Profile

I have only been to a couple of national parks. And a couple of state parks. It’s probably something we should try to do more, but there aren’t too many near us and we always end up at other locations. Definitely something for us to keep in mind for future travel.

8. Mary says:

Great choices! Seattle is on my must see list, too! Actually anywhere in the Pacific Northwest! Since you love to run check out the Half marathon series in the national parks. http://www.yellowstonehalfmarathon.com
    Mary recently posted…Tips for Running Your Best Boston MarathonMy Profile

Oh, wow! Check that out! I would probably completely lose it in a race out west. I am so not equipped for the elevations! But, you never know til you try, right? Thanks for the tip!

9. I love Seattle, Yellowstone, and the Grand Canyon. You definitely need to add Southern Utah – Zion, Bryce, Arches – all gorgeous places. You and your camera would love it there!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted…Five Reasons I Love Doing My Business TaxesMy Profile

10. I would love to go to Seattle too! Something about it 🙂 Arizona was a ton of fun last December so I definitely recommend that! Nice to see you today!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…My day as a runDisney volunteer !My Profile

Exactly! Something about it!

I loved seeing your smiling face at that start line today! I’m so glad it was a great race and that you are back in the game! <3

11. HoHo Runs says:

Yes to all of these. Born and raised in the South, I’ve travelled the eastern US quite a bit. My western travels are lacking!
    HoHo Runs recently posted…Runfessions – February 2015 EditionMy Profile

It’s really hard to break out of the comfort zone. We’ve really never done a “winter” vacation, as in going somewhere with snow on purpose. It’s about time to start branching out.

12. Coco says:

Great list! I have not been to Seattle, Albequerque or Alaska. We went to Niagara Falls last year and I would add that to your list. 🙂

13. Alaska is def on my list! We keep talking about doing a cruise with the kids but sounds like June is the time to go and we haven’t been able to figure that out yet. It looks beautiful though
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…5 Reasons To Try A TriMy Profile

I would agree that a cruise in June would be the way to go. I don’t love cruises so that’s one of the reasons it hasn’t been on the radar. My mom really wants to go too. Maybe it would be a great mother-daughter vacation 🙂

14. Mine would be:
    1. NYC
    2. Chicago
    3. Seattle
    4. San Diego
    5. Grand Canyon (Rim to Rim)
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…What I’m Training For…The Next Race UpMy Profile

15. Jennifer says:

This is a fun post! I LOVE Seattle. Ok five US city/states that I would like to visit, but never have:
    (1) Alaska (will go in August)
    (2) Portland
    (3) Chicago
    (4) Albuquerque
    (5) Savannah
    Jennifer recently posted…Friday Five – I Signed Up for a TriathlonMy Profile

16. Yes! All of those things. I totally agree with you. I also want to see the Northern Lights!
    Lara @ Uptite Mamas recently posted…Weekend Update – Let the Dance Season BeginMy Profile

17. April @ RunTheGreatWideSomewhere says:

YES! on all of those. Before Eli was born, when Alex was in fifth grade, we took a three week car trip from Florida, through Louisiana, Texas and lots of other states to get to Arizona. We did the north rim and the south rim of the Grand Canyon and stayed for a few days at both. Driving through that scenery is breathtaking! I really want to do a rim to rim hike at the Grand Canyon when Eli gets a little older. Great post!