friday five: favorite springtime foods

TGIF! And that means we are linking up for the Friday Five, with three amazing DC area bloggers: Mary at Mar On the Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?! and Courtney from Eat Pray Run, DC.  Feel free to join the fun with your own Friday Five post and be sure to visit and comment on the other blogs on the linkup!

DC_linkup

Our topic for this week is Favorite Springtime Foods.

1. Strawberries

Fresh, in shortcake, plain or with cream, strawberries are spring’s most superb fruit. We don’t always get to pick them fresh, but we do when we can.

2. Silver Queen Corn

I can’t eat corn directly off the cob, but I slice off the kernels and can still enjoy. We either boil the ears in a mixture of water, milk and a little bit of sugar, or brush them with butter, sprinkle with pepper and salt and grill. Perfection.

3. Pasta Salads

There’s nothing more lovely than dining outside, with homemade pasta salad, full of fresh veggies and herbs and spices.

My favorites are cheese tortellini, tossed in pesto sauce and chilled, and al dente pasta with sliced cherry tomatoes, chunks of fresh mozzarella, kalamata olives, crushed garlic and olive oil.

4. Rita’s Frozen Custard

I’m pretty sure I mentioned this last week, but it’s worth repeating. I haven’t made it to Rita’s yet this season, but it’s coming. I can feel it.

5. Fresh Guacamole

I love sitting on the patio, with a mojito or margaritas and a huge bowl of guacamole.

I like mine chunky, with garlic, red onion, tomato, and corn. Add a splash of lime, pepper and salt and it’s heaven on tortillas (I’m one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap: no, thank you).

And now I’m hungry.

What are your top five springtime foods?

How do you like your guacamole?

Answer in the comments or create your own Friday Five post and link up!

34 Responses to friday five: favorite springtime foods

1. Anne says:

I love corn products like popcorn and corn for Tia rock Laurdoesn’t do much for me with one exception, I read on eat live on his blog I love about the glory of uncooked corn.
    Karen North Carolina we have access to super fresh corn and leaving it on within a day or two of buying it from the farmers market is one of the greatest joys in life I’d highly recommend giving it a try.

Have a great weekend
    Anne recently posted…Maybe I Should Have Listened to Greg McMillan’s Advice…My Profile

Oh, fresh corn is so good. And I absolutely love popcorn: air popped with some melted butter and salt. Sometimes, I go to the movies, just so I can have popcorn. So bad, but so good.

2. I simply love strawberry season! We’re lucky to live in an area that grows them well so there are tons of local small farms/fields where you can pick your own. And I always forget how much I love pasta salad…it reminds me of swim meets since it was a popular snack. Have a great weekend!
    Christine @ We Run Disney recently posted…Favorite spring foods and a confessionMy Profile

That’s so awesome. Plant City is a few hours away, and apparently they have tons of strawberry fields and a strawberry festival. I really want to check it out one of those days.

Good pasta salad is awesome.

3. Guacamole and margaritas go hand in hand. Perfect for a summer day!
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…Running Fuel : New Spring Flavors to Look ForMy Profile

4. MMMMM guacamole… I make mine with cilantro, salt & lime juice. One of my favorite foods, I could eat it with a spoon!

I love your choices esp the ice cream. Don’t like avocados, though.
    Darlene recently posted…Friday Five: Favorite Springtime FoodsMy Profile

6. i actually don’t love guac – something about the texture doesn’t work for me. but i’m down with the rest of your list! 🙂
    Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC recently posted…Favorite Easter RecipesMy Profile

7. 3 & 5 are my favorites! I could eat it every week! Right now I can’t get enough strawberries- they have been in my smoothie every day this week! Happy Friday!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…I am loving it Friday!My Profile

8. I love Rita’s water ice and custard, the gelatos are the best! Fresh guacamole is great anytime!
    Beth @ Bolting Butterfly recently posted…Five Spring EatsMy Profile

9. I keep hearing about this Rita’s frozen custard! Must be amazing, since several bloggers have mentioned it!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Dreaming, running, and fishMy Profile

10. This Jersey girl LOVES corn on cob. I look forward to it every year! Sadly, there are no Rita’s anywhere near me. This was such a torture last week!

11. mojito or margaritas and a huge bowl of guacamole—yes please!!! i eat mine with plantain chips!

12. Yes, to all of these things! Yummy! I don’t think that I’ve ever had guacamole that I didn’t like. It’s even great plain with a little lemon juice, some salt and pepper.

Sometimes, it’s not as good as others. Maybe just missing a bit of seasoning or the avocados weren’t quite right. It happens, and it’s always very sad when it does.

13. YES! to all of these foods…and now I am hungry :p
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen @karenlovestorun recently posted…ThirtyMy Profile

14. jan says:

Mmmmm fresh guac is one of my favorite things EVER. We have a lot of authentic Mexican restaurants and they have the best guacamole! I’m not sure what my favorite springtime foods are…I’ll have to think on that one!
    jan recently posted…Surprise!My Profile

15. I love avocados and guacamole. Just cut up onions, tomato and throw in some cilantro and I could eat the whole bowl.
    Karen @ Fit in France recently posted…Eats this weekMy Profile

16. For me spring food is all about Easter which is all about sweets:
    jelly beans
    Cadbury Creme Eggs
    Mini Robins Eggs
    Reese’s Eggs
    and every other treat!!!

I am trying to be good and resist a bit this year.

17. The difference in our climates is no more apparent than now — corn? That’s a summer food . . . eating corn now, in the spring? Seems sacrilege.

Though I’ll argue that guacamole is an “anytime” food, but that’s mostly because avocado doesn’t grow anywhere near me, so everything we have in the stores is from Mexico, where they can grow it year-round.
    John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted…Where the random comes to visitMy Profile