weekly report: 5/10 – 5/16

While it’s nice to have things back to normal and to be getting back to a routine, I miss being on vacation.

Sunday – Castaway Cay 5K

Quite frankly, I can think of no better way to kick off Mother’s Day than with a 5K on a tropical island, to be followed up spending the day with family.

I will post the race report this week, but it was pretty darn hot. Probably the hottest race I’ve ever run.

We spent the rest of the day out on the beach and finished up the night packing to disembark the ship.

Monday – rest

After a very early breakfast, it was time to return to reality. Boo. We left the Disney Dream,  pretty convinced that we would be back.

It was a pretty simple process of collecting our suitcases and catching the shuttle back to our hotel, but as we were grabbing Starbucks for the ride home, my friend told me to rethink our plans. There had been an awful accident en route and the interstate was shut down for hours.

We decided to detour to Daytona Beach to spend time on the beach and get lunch to give things time to clear up. It was good to get home.

Tuesday – rest

I had to work on Tuesday, so nothing was really quite done around the house. It was a productive day anyway, and I got through the bulk of the laundry. That’s always a relief (I can’t stand laundry).

That being said, we had to go to school – little man won the Character Counts award for the month! His classmates and teacher voted for him for the character of Trustworthiness and we were so very proud.

We got to hear some of the things his friends and his teacher had to say about him, and we both got pretty choked up. He was called loyal and a good friend and a leader. They said he does what he says he is going to do and has a positive impact on his classmates through his word and actions. Parenting can be a pretty hard job, and moments like this really make me feel like we’re doing something right.

Wednesday – 3.1 miles

All good things must come to an end, and it was time to get back on the pavement. I was having some pain because of stepping down hard into a cement hole on the beach on Sunday – my arch was hurting and I could feel a tender knot in my calf that needed a lot of rolling and massaging to work itself out.

It was ok, though. A good run helped me stretch my legs and things started feeling better shortly thereafter.

I’m glad it wasn’t anything serious.

Thursday – rest

I got some awesome news! I found out that I am part of the Best Damn Race Ambassador Team! Whoo hoo!

If you’ll recall, I was running the WDW Marathon when BDR came to my hometown last year, but I ran the virtual version of the race so I could get the inaugural Jacksonville bling. And then I went ahead and joined Meghan to run BDR Orlando.

Now, it’s my goal to run all four events!

If you want to run with us, be sure to use the code RUNPUGS for $5 off any distance in any city!

11113848_10152919117095975_2492018255347173087_n

Something else new? I finally got to use my new Paderno Spiralizer. It was time for my first attempt at zoodles!

We topped them with some mild Italian sausage sautéed and combined with red sauce and it was a really nice pasta alternative. The spiralizer was easy to use (little man actually made the zoodles) and easy to clean, and I have a feeling we’ll be breaking it out a lot more this summer.

Friday – 2.78 miles (fartleks)

Most importantly, it was Bentley’s birthday!

10462920_10206502832390425_2367040539239230484_n

That laser-like focus is on birthday treats.

We got Bentley almost eight years ago. His former owners weren’t kind to him and it took us a long time to earn his trust and help him find his place in our family. He was edgy and nervous – for the first six months, he panted nonstop and wouldn’t allow himself to relax. Now, he’s quite at home with us. He’s unlike any dog I’ve ever had and we had to work hard to overcome his challenges, but I can’t imagine our lives without him. Happy birthday, sweet boy.

I am always pretty meh on speed work. I know it’s good for me and I know it leads to results, but I get lazy about it, especially in the warmer weather. I was feeling kind of bored, so I decided to whip out my old standby of running for 6:00 at about a half marathon pace, then doing a walking recovery for 3:00 (or half the time), run 5:00 at a faster pace, walk 2:00, all the way down to 1:00 as fast as my lungs could tolerate.

It went better than I expected.

Since I’ve been doing shorter intervals, I really haven’t been running for more than a minute straight. Running a comfortable six minutes at a 10:10 pace is a pretty big victory for me. obviously, things got harder the faster I went, but I felt great about the whole exercise.

In not so great news, Miss Molly had to go to the vet. She was exhibiting a little bit of discharge and it turns out that we caught a very early stage infection in her anal glands. So glamorous. She got a nice shot of antibiotics and seems to be in the clear.

11220856_10206511797454546_383772790183439224_n

As you can see, she’s not particularly happy with us, and has been showing her teeth quite frequently. Deep down inside, she thanks us. I know she does.

Saturday – rest

For the first time in forever, we had nothing planned in a weekend. Whoo!!!! We went to little man’s karate class, and then had my parents over for some chicken on the grill. It was lovely.

Now that things have settled down a little, I am making a commitment to get back to boot camp. It’s been kind of difficult to finagle with my new schedule, but now that we are home from our trip, I feel more confident that I can make it happen. I think it will be one more piece of the puzzle of my improvement in running.

How was your week in review?

Do you prefer your weekends to be fully scheduled or do you like when you have nothing going on?

44 Responses to weekly report: 5/10 – 5/16

1. Anne says:

Congratulations to the little man on his character counts award, that is so wonderful and incredibly sweet to hear what him classmates had to say about him!

I am about to go on vacation and have to stop myself from stressing about what will be awaiting me when I get back… Now there’s just nothing healthy about that haha

Your speed work looks really nice! When I have to run on the treadmill, it’s a great way for me to make the time pass by!
    Anne recently posted…Five Things FridayMy Profile

2. congrats to little man and happy birthday Bentley!! sounds like a good week to me 🙂 I need to get back to speed work!
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…Weekend Update: Learning the FundamentalsMy Profile

3. While we have been on a number of cruises we’ve never been on a Disney. Now my kiddos are too old oh well! I love my spiralizer too!
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Southwestern Pasta Salad w Cilantro Lime VinegaretteMy Profile

Honestly, I don’t think you’re ever too old. I would sail DCL again in a heartbeat, with or without little man.

The spiralizer is going to be earning its keep this summer, that’s for sure!

4. Congrats little man! What an amazing kid you’re raising. For his peers to recognize those traits in him at that age… That’s saying something!
    Happy Birthday Bentley! And to Molly, P gets it. She gets chronic UTI’s and is constantly on some kind of antibiotic. It’s not easy being a Pug.
    Awesome job on the speed work! Once this half is over, I want to work on finding my old pace. I know it’s in there somewhere!
    My running week was ok… I had a nice 3 on Tuesday, but slacked and did my second midweek run on Friday. And it wound up only being a two miler. Ran 12 yesterday but it was kind of blah. First my watch hadn’t charged, so I couldn’t take it with me. Apparently, when I know I’m not being held terribly accountable (aka, no pace monitoring) I’m ridiculously lazy. I walked whenever I felt like it. I even stopped at mile 7 to visit with a friend who lives on my route… But hey, it got done!
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Thursday’s ThreadsMy Profile

You are doing so great! I am so proud of you!

Little man challenges us, but he is pretty awesome. Of course, we are biased 🙂

Molly has had some awful things happening in her nether region over her life. She’s not a fan of us expressing her and observing back there, but it’s better than getting impacted. Again. Ew.

I need to start building up those miles, soon! You are inspiring me to get going!
      runswithpugs recently posted…weekly report: 5/10 – 5/16My Profile

5. Congrats to your son on that award! Now that I’m struggling with my oldest (got a whole blog post on that tomorrow), I really appreciate those programs that try to teach kids about being good people. Lucky mama!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Weekend randomsMy Profile

6. Happy birthday to Bentley!
    I love my spiralizer, that reminds me, I need to pull mine out again!
    Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Happy Birthday to Me!My Profile

7. How great to hear that the little one is doing so well and that it doesn’t go unnoticed :). And congrats on the ambassadorship!
    As for the pugs: Happy birthday to Bentley! What a cutie. I hope Mollie get better!
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Blend Retreat Recap – Day 1My Profile

8. Elle says:

Such a lot going on! How nice to hear such great things about your son from others! And love the pics of the pugs. Have a great week.
    Elle recently posted…Home From Spring VacationMy Profile

9. Poor miss Molly! My Moxers has had a few vet visits recently also – she gots a case of the whipworm. Blech.
    Coach Henness recently posted…A Tale Of Two Chia DessertsMy Profile

10. Aren’t Zoodles the best? I need to chat with you about the Disney cruise. We are thinking about taking one in the fall and would love to hear your thoughts!!

So good!

Feel free to email me! I have a lot of thoughts and am happy to share.

I will be posting my recaps of each day this week, so keep an eye out for that too! What ship would you be cruising?

Kudos to the little man on his award! What a great one to receive! I’ve entertained those running cruises because well how can you go wrong with running and cruising? But the heat/humidity is what holds me back.
    Marcia recently posted…Race Report: 5k For the DogsMy Profile

12. oh man, that last picture of miss molly. adorbs. welcome home – i love love love disney!
    Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC recently posted…Run.Eat.Drink. The Fit Foodie 5K is here!My Profile

13. Congrats to your son on his award! A job well done!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2My Profile

14. Congrats to your son. He sounds like an awesome guy.

I hate hot weather running. I’m so over summer already and it’s only May. Sigh.
    MCM Mama Runs recently posted…Back to realityMy Profile

15. a 5k on an island sounds amazing! well minus the heat I guess 🙂 Also that pic of bentley is so cute!
    Patty @ Reach Your Peak recently posted…Week 20/52 of Training – 2015My Profile

16. Congrats to your little man:) Also congrats to you on your new Ambassadorship!
    Love that you did a 5k on Mothers Day, what a great way to spend the morning doing something you love!
    Kristy @Runaway Bridal Planner recently posted…Up’s, Down’s and PlansMy Profile

17. Congrats to your son! I like Saturday and early Sunday to be fully scheduled with down time Sunday afternoon.

Have a fabulous Tuesday Jenn!
    jjill conyers recently posted…I Am EnoughMy Profile

18. Heheheheh, you said fartlek.

I just got a “zoodle” maker, as well. Though I have no idea when I’ll actually get around to trying it out.
    John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted…Where I define the music that has made meMy Profile

19. Carmy says:

All the birthday love to Bentley! I love speedwork but I hate doing them! Haha! I find that I get burnt out easily and just want to do long relaxing slow runs instead
    Carmy recently posted…Monday on the Run #23My Profile

20. I prefer when I’ve got nothing planned for the weekend. Schedules tend to make the type B in my rebel lol
    p.s. Congrats on becoming part of the Best Damn Race Ambassador Team! Exciting 😀
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…3 Reasons I’m adding Hot Yoga to my Workout Routine + a GiveawayMy Profile

21. Castaway Cay sounds cool, cannot wait to read the race recap.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…RACE THE LANDING 5K SERIES #2 – 2015My Profile

22. Angie says:

I love it when people celebrate dog birthdays!
    Angie recently posted…BlankMy Profile