weekly report: 5/24 – 5/30

Things are starting to wind down for the school year, so there are lots of last minute things  to cram in. Our summer is also off to an early start with a special visitor and so our days are extra full!

Sunday – rest

We had some more time to ourselves since little man was still at Nana and Papa Bear’s. We decided to take in a movie. I wanted to see Pitch Perfect 2, but Age of Adeline was also playing, at an earlier time, so we went to that instead. I am pretty sure Mr PugRunner wasn’t all that impressed, but I really enjoyed the story.

Monday – Florida Strider’s Memorial Day 5K

On our way to the race, we picked up little man and his grandparents. This marked the third anniversary of our very first 5K and family fun run, and it was really amazing to be a  part of it.

I will post a race recap later this week.

After the races, we grabbed a quick breakfast, got cleaned up and then headed back to Nana and Papa Bear’s for a lovely Memorial Day cookout. It was nice to just relax with the family, and even though I was having a nasty flare up of my plantar fasciitis, I was happy to spend time with everyone.

Tuesday –  rest

It was tough standing on my foot all day, but I kept on top of my stretching.

After I got home, I fed little man a quick dinner and we went to karate. He’s been doing so well, which means we have increased our class time a bit. We also got our prints from his professional session last month.

Framers. Both of them.

Wednesday – rest

This was a day packed from beginning to end.

I had some work in the morning, and then lunch with friends. Our nephew flew into town – he will be staying with us for a month – and Mr PugRunner brought little man to the airport to pick him up.

In the meantime, I had a clinic at work, and then had to battle some nasty traffic to meet up with my fellow Best Damn Race Ambassador, Idiot Runner Girl, to pick up some postcards and posters. It was so nice to see her and I hope we will be able to run together soon.

I’m excited for the next season of the Best Damn Race series to start. I hope you plan on joining us for the fun!

11015211_10152919117035975_9064200499477483227_n

Thursday – rest

I took one more day of rest. Just to make sure things were where they needed to be with my foot. I was a bit restless, but I tried to keep my eye on the big picture: getting better.

After work, I took little man to get new sneakers. He was in desperate need, and is now the proud owner of a spiffy pair of Asics GT-1000 4s.

He says they make him super fast.

Friday – 3.1

Running day!

Since Monday was pretty much my last focused attempt at the 5K distance for the year (it’s time to get in a half marathon frame of mind), I just took it nice and easy. I didn’t worry too much about my speed or anything other than my form and my foot.

It went just fine.

I also got my new Armpocket, so that made things more fun.

I spent the rest of the morning at little man’s end of year class party. It was a camping theme and his teacher did such a great job with tents and flashlights and hot dogs and s’mores. It was a great year.

Saturday – rest

Mr. PugRunner and our nephew were up before the sun to run a 5K at the Everbank Field, so I took little man to breakfast and to karate. Due to other obligations, we don’t usually go to Saturday classes, but we all find them a bit more interesting than the weekday classes, due to the fact that they involve students from several age group and several levels, so the routines and moves are a little different.

Little man got to “flag spar” for the first time (basically, like flag football, only with sparring), using only blocking moves. He lost his first match but won his second, against a student who was older and with a much higher belt! I was so proud of him!

After that, we had some friends over to grill out and enjoyed a really, really great afternoon.

This week, I have some work, the last day of first grade for little man, and a Prediction Run – where you predict how fast you are going to complete a set of miles, and then run it without any kind of timing device, watch or phone. I have NO idea how that is going to go, and I’m little nervous.

Last, but not least… we have a winner for our Spartan Giveaway!

Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 7.26.05 AMCongratulations, Liz! Please email me at runswithpugs @ gmail dot com to claim your entry!

What’s on your agenda for the first week of June?

How has your training been going?

40 Responses to weekly report: 5/24 – 5/30

1. Oh, my god – those pics! They’re really great! I’m curious if my karate class ever does similar — I’m thinking not, as we’ve been there for a year. Though I may bring a good camera for his next belt test 🙂
    John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted…Where random happensMy Profile

Right? The photographer was beyond amazing and soooo good getting the kids to give him great moves. That kick was too much for words! I definitely bring the good camera to belt tests. Board breaking is an epic thing to photograph!

2. Elle says:

Sounds like a busy and very fun week…
    Elle recently posted…So… About Exercising on a Cruise ShipMy Profile

3. rachel says:

Great weekly report! I love the framed photos of your kiddos. Super cute!
    rachel recently posted…Scenes from my Trail RunMy Profile

I only wish Mr PugRunner would have let me buy all of them. The CD was ridiculously expensive, but they were all so good! It was so hard having to choose!

4. Little man’s Karate pictures are amazing! I love the flames!
    Sorry about your foot, that’s so frustrating! Sounds like it’s on the mend though, so that’s great! Can’t wait to hear your race recap! The projection run sounds interesting, I hope you’ll tell us more about that!
    Sounds like you were able to fit lots of family time in amongst all the year-end crazy! Hope this week is a little less hectic for you!
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Outrun Branford Half MarathonMy Profile

The flames make the picture. They did all the photos on a green screen and then there were like 50 different, equally “intense” digital backgrounds. Little man picked both of the backgrounds. Not quite my taste, but … sometimes you just have to relinquish control.

I will tell all about the prediction run. I’m nervous. I always run with something, and I feel like I’m just going to get trampled and left in the dust.

5. Margo says:

Wait a minute–it’s a whole new month? This year is flying by like crazy!~ I need to catch my breath.
    Margo recently posted…Brooklyn Fit Chick News & Notes: EleVen by Venus Discount, the FBG 00’s Playlist and “Valley of the Dolls!”My Profile

6. Pitch perfect was so funny but I think the first one was better. I wanted to see age of Adeline as well. My hubs isn’t so into that one though.
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Strawberry Shortcake with Banana CreamMy Profile

7. Bri says:

That’s so cute you did a 5K together! Love seeing families do things like that together 🙂
    Bri recently posted…10 easy, healthy snack ideas for the desk dwellerMy Profile

It’s so great to do as a family. Little man has only done one 5K so far, but he has done a bunch of mile fun runs, which are just right for him at this point.

8. So you’ve come down from your post Disney High?

Great job on the 5k. When’s your half?
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Turn this thing around!My Profile

9. Carmy says:

Those prints look so badass! Especially with the flames haha. Glad he’s so active!
    Carmy recently posted…Monday on the Run #25My Profile

10. little man is super adorable! sounds like a very busy week for you but productive!
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…Workout Recap + State #13My Profile

11. Toni says:

I can’t believe May is over…. I have heard of the Best damn race and def want to run on e some day! You little guy is just so adorable.
    Toni recently posted…Weekly Workout Wrap-Up, K-Fit 6 Challenge Week 2My Profile

12. I understand the constantly being busy and always being on the move. Sometimes its hard to fit the workouts in!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4My Profile

13. My workouts were good last night! I am a little in shock that it’s June already. Time flies!
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…Navigating the Farmers’ MarketMy Profile

14. jill conyers says:

Family runs are some of my greatest running memories. My kids started when they were little and loved it. Now, as teens, not so much.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!
    jill conyers recently posted…Super Sets: Strength and Cardio WorkoutMy Profile

15. Those are such cool pictures! Love them both! Hope your foot is feeling better- looks like you got a good run in! Enjoy your company! I am working my summer of speed plan and trying to shake things up a bit! You inspired me even more to get that 5K under 30 and I am doing it this summer!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Meal Prep for DummiesMy Profile

16. your son is such a cutie! i have a fun week filled with running, some evening events and friends!
    Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC recently posted…Why I Hate Being Told to SmileMy Profile

17. I have that same ArmPocket! Hope your feet are feeling better 🙂
    Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted…Queen of the Weirdest InjuriesMy Profile

18. A bunch of people keep telling me to go see pitch perfect…but I haven’t seen the first one lol. I do want to see San Andreas this weekend though!
    Patty @ Reach Your Peak recently posted…Week 22/52 of Training – 2015My Profile

19. Looks like you had an amazing, but busy week.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…People over PRs! – Running – It Is All About CommunityMy Profile

20. Oh no! I hope the Plantar Fasciitis doesn’t keep flaring up!!! Take it easy on that foot!
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…Today is your opportunity to celebrate National Running Day!My Profile

PF is a nasty witch, and I have a feeling it’s going to be the plague of my running existence. it could definitely be a lot worse, so I’ll take it, but I am very happy when I don’t feel it for a while.