friday five: national running day

Due to our travel and the general over scheduling, it’s been a while since we linked up for the Friday Five, with these three awesome DC area bloggers: Mary at Mar On the Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?! and Courtney from Eat Pray Run, DC.  Feel free to join the fun with your own Friday Five post and be sure to visit and comment on the other blogs on the linkup!

DC_linkupToday’s post, we share Five Ways I Celebrated National Running Day!

1. I ran!

Obviously, on National Running Day, running is key. So I laced up and got out there.

2. I did my first “prediction run”!

A prediction run has nothing to do with your speed. The winner is the one who most accurately predicts his or her finish time. Which is a lot harder than it looks. We have a few prediction races in town, but on Wednesday night, I did my very first one. I was about two minutes off. The winners were off by about two seconds. Impressive.

3. I tried running “naked”!

While I have ventured out without an iPod, especially when it’s dark out, I have NEVER gone out without my phone and/or some kind of timing device. Oh, it was SO weird. I am absolutely so bound to my Garmin, and I felt so lost without it, especially for intervals. I ran as far as I could (about a mile, by my estimation), before I started breaking down into run/walk periods, based on my own counting. Unfortunately, my foot was giving me grief, so I walked a lot more than I usually would, but it was a fun run, so no biggie. Mostly. I still feel like it doesn’t count, since I didn’t have the Garmin data!

4. I found a new route!

I wish I had been able to bring my phone along just so I could share some of the pictures of this route! It was a flat and shaded loop. We ran through two different parks, one with a sculpture garden, and then through the most adorable beach neighborhoods. For a while, we were alongside a little canal, where I saw the most incredibly huge turtles. And there were even a few pieces of little dirt trail. It had a bit of everything, and it’s somewhere I would run again, just to switch things up.

5. I joined a running group!

This is a big one. For a long time, I have been incredibly intimidated by the idea of being part of a running group. However, since my motivation has been low, and the price as right, I thought why not? It would be good to get out there and get some encouragement from other people. The crowd was great, friendly and supportive, and the pace range was all over the place. I felt pretty comfortable and not particularly outmatched, so I am looking forward to attending a group run and seeing how it goes.

It was a pretty fun day. I was nervous at first, as I always am in new situations with new people. But I think I moved on pretty quickly, and was very appreciative to be with a welcoming group of people, all with a shared love of running.

What are some ways you celebrated the day?

What’s something you’ve tried recently to challenge yourself, running or otherwise?

49 Responses to friday five: national running day

1. Sounds like a great day! The running groups around here are pretty hard core, so we made our own. Unfortunately most of the members have moved away and we’re down to 2… but two is better than one!
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Nicole’s CreationsMy Profile

My running group is done until October. I need a new one. I am hesitant too because I am not fast. I would love to find a new route that is scenic.
    Darlene recently posted…Friday Five: National Running DayMy Profile

It’s great finding new routes. I have another one to try out, too, and I’m super excited about it.

October is a long way away! I hope you are able to find something!

3. Anne says:

All of these are so awesome! I have to say, I actually did not run a national running day ha ha.

I almost always run without my phone, but not without my garmin. When I do leave my Garman though, it is pretty freeing feeling.

I love love love that you found a new route and Ran with a grip! Those are two of my favorite running things in the whole wide world 🙂
    Anne recently posted…Soooooo I’m Moving From the U.S….My Profile

I like to have the phone just in case I get into trouble.

The new route and the group were both pretty great. It was a little unnerving, not knowing where I was going (or if I was going to be able to find his way back), but it was definitely something to try.

4. Sounds like you had a great national running day! I’ve been sick, so I missed out – but hoping to have a belated celebration this weekend 🙂
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Cross Training with the PUMA Pulse XTMy Profile

5. Awesome you joined a running group!
    I used to run with RunKeepr so I got pretty good at guessing my pace and splits, it was fun.
    Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Friday Favourites: 6/5My Profile

6. I have a hard time running “naked” too. Even on short runs I feel like I need my music.
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…Why I didn’t always want my running partnerMy Profile

7. Cassi says:

I’m not a runner so I didn’t celebrate. I couldn’t go walking without my phone to keep track of things…no clue how to track on my own.
    Cassi recently posted…My GardenMy Profile

8. i’ve never done a prediction run. how fun. i think i’d be terrible at that though, lol. have a great weekend!
    Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC recently posted…National Running Day 2015 – 5 Marathon Training MistakesMy Profile

9. Oh my gosh I want to run along your new route – it sounds fantastic – sculpture garden and turtles!! I would have been in running heaven!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Fitness is a DanceMy Profile

10. I love my MRTT group and seriously have no idea what I did before I met them all! Prediction runs sound cool.
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Sport2People Resistance Band Review & Exercises On The GoMy Profile

11. Jennifer says:

I love finding new running routes. On Wednesday I ran around the mall (DC).
    Jennifer recently posted…Friday Five – Scenes from National Running DayMy Profile

How great you joined a group! I’m typically a lone wolf runner as well. but learning to swim this year to take on my first tri prompted me to join a tri group. I don’t always enjoy it, but I definitely work harder in the group.
    Marcia recently posted…Currently: School’s Out EditionMy Profile

13. I don’t like running naked! Especially when it comes to my Garmin. I guess it helps when I go to one our trails and there are mile markers. Exciting that you joined a group! I start back running with my running group next week. Can’t wait!
    Artney @ My Pretty Brown recently posted…Roasted Buffalo CauliflowerMy Profile

14. I don’t know about a running group. I love to run solo. It’s my me time!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…A matter of perspectiveMy Profile

15. Running “naked” is so hard for me! I always have my watch and headphones, unless I’m running with a friend 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen @karenlovestorun recently posted…Friday Five 6/5: National Running DayMy Profile

16. This is the first I have every heard of a predictive run! Sounds interesting – so does the course your ran. Running groups are great and that’s great that you just jumped right into one. Enjoy yourself!!
    Diane @runninrocker recently posted…National Running DayMy Profile

17. Kudos to you for running naked. I think I’d feel lost without knowing exactly how far I’d gone, or how long I’d been out running.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Friday Five – Five Things I Love About RunningMy Profile

It was really hard. I could deal with it just because the course was measured, marked and timed, so that worked, but to just do for funsies around the neighborhood? I don’t think so.

18. Sounds like an amazing route for a run! I would love that!
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…Mini Frittatas with Zucchini & Red PepperMy Profile

19. jill conyers says:

I’m not a fan of running naked. I can go without all devices but not the Garmin.
    jill conyers recently posted…Fitness Health and HappinessMy Profile

20. Lindsey says:

Yay for running groups and new trails! I feel weird without my Garmin, too! I just like racking up the miles on the website, plus sometimes I run a little further so I round out the mileage number. I think as long as you don’t start getting negative about it then it’s fine to keep using it 🙂
    Lindsey recently posted…Friday 5: ZOOMA 10kMy Profile

I am the same. I like to see those miles increase. I don’t use my Garmin Connect app as much as Daily Mile, so I can input manually, but it just doesn’t feel legit.

21. Wow, a prediction run would be tough!
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…RACE THE LANDING 5K SERIES #3 – 2015My Profile

22. Good for you! I have become so attached to my Garmin that I would go nuts without it! I’ve never heard of a prediction run – very interesting idea.

Hope you had a great weekend!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted…Lake Fairfax Trail RunMy Profile

23. rachel says:

Great job running!! I don’t think I have done a prediction run… off to read more about it
    rachel recently posted…So this happened…My Profile

24. Running naked is so freeing but also stressful for me because I have to STOP worrying about my time. I’ll get home and calculate my pace based on what time I left home and got back lol. Discovering new routes are the best!
    Patty @ Reach Your Peak recently posted…RBX Activewear at T.J. MaxxMy Profile

25. Angie says:

The prediction run sounds fun! I have been scared to join a running group. I went to a group run for a running store once, and that is it so far.
    Angie recently posted…Summer vacationMy Profile