weekly report: 5.31 – 6.7

I am feeling great about this week. I think I’ve finally worked through that little mental block, so that I could start bumping up my miles. It’s a little thing but it does so much for the motivation and getting out of a rut.

Sunday – rest

We spent the day at the pool with little man, our nephew and my parents. After a long day, we went to hibachi for dinner. We had a fantastic table side chef, and little man absolutely loves seeing his food cooked in front of him. It’s also nice that we can share a meal – he gets the chicken and I get the shrimp, and we each get rice, soup and salad.

And then we spent entirely too much time feeding the koi. Fun for the whole family.

Monday – 4 miles

Monday morning I was up and out for four miles.

I have said that I wanted to get in the habit of running four rather than 3.1, and it was time to take myself seriously. No rush, of course. It’s that time of year when I have to kind of let the times go and realize that the hard work now means I will be so much faster in the winter.

Tuesday – rest

Nothing much to report today. We did a little karate, and that was about it.

However, I did get my new medal holder from York Sign Shop!

I wasted no time in hanging it on our running wall. In another couple of months, we will need another one to hang on Mr PugRunner’s side. I love watching this collection grow.

Wednesday – 3.1 miles for National Running Day

Wednesday was going to be busy from start to finish. I spent the morning putting the finishing touches on some Summer Celebration cookies for my friends, as a gift for her daughters. They were really fun to make.

These ice cream cones are almost better than the real thing.

Little man had early release from school, so he and I hung out for a bit, before he had to head out to karate and I had to go to my Prediction Run.

It wasn’t my best run (it was night and I was hurting a little), but it was fun getting out on a random night and running with a new group.

11392952_10207215606376735_6015334720839422808_n

Thursday – rest

School’s out for summer!

Yes, little man had his last day of first grade. Of course, it was bittersweet, especially because he is going to miss his teacher so very much.

We made a very special gift for her: a chipboard storybook about things she could do this summer, complete with gift cards.

And the parents had a little surprise for the kids at the bus stop when they were dropped off for the last time! Water balloons and silly string!

When I got home from work, I grabbed little man and his bathing suit and headed over to my friend’s house. She was hosting an End of School Celebration, complete with hot dogs and a visit from a vintage ice cream truck. The kids took turns eating ice cream and serving treats from the back, and then played with water balloons and sprinklers. It was fabulous.

A perfect end to a perfect day.

And just as a funny aside… check out the rolling technique on this pretty princess.

Friday – rest

Nice that our first day of summer was also National Donut Day.

I treated little man to a delicious breakfast in honor of that event.

Afterwards, we loaded up his backpack for two days at Nana and Papa Bear’s. They had all kinds of fun things planned for him, and he was excited to get there.

Mr PugRunner and our nephew decided to go see Entourage, but I opted to wait to see it with Papa Bear, and got a night to myself. I rented Jupiter Ascending and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Saturday – 5 miles

While the boy slept in after that late night at the movies, I got up and vowed to do five miles. There was a time when five felt like no big thing, but I needed to get over the hump and get it done.

So I did.

Mr PugRunner made me breakfast while I showered, which was really sweet of him.

Then it was off to work.

The guys decided to check out an arena football game, so I was on my own again. I made some popcorn and watched Wish I Was Here, which was absolutely beautiful. Sad, but beautiful.

I was asleep shortly after. Those early mornings can wear a body out!

So that brings the tally to 12 miles for the week. Far better than the nine I’ve been averaging. And now I’m more excited about half marathon training, even if it is during summer!

How was your week in workouts?

What’s something you love to do in summer?

42 Responses to weekly report: 5.31 – 6.7

1. Margo says:

I love riding my bike in the summer!
    Margo recently posted…Brooklyn Fit Chick @BlinkFitness Giveaway! (NYC Area-Only)My Profile

2. Maureen says:

What a fun, BUSY week! I love the gift your son made for his teacher…so thoughtful!
    Maureen recently posted…Weekend SnapshotsMy Profile

She really loved it. It’s getting harder and harder to find useful, practical gifts for the teachers – I love helping him craft stuff, but I want it to be something his teacher will be able to use, too. This seemed to fit the bill.

3. Good job w your workouts. I bet things will be busy this summer now that kids are out of school. Those cookies look so cute. Almost too cute to eat. ..ALMOST:)
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…a 5K and Why I couldnt hold the signMy Profile

Almost is right! To be honest, I’m not a big lover of cookies or cakes. I like the raw dough/batter, and I like frosting (buttercream, not royal), but that’s about it.

We do have some camp plans, so that will help alleviate some of the craziness, but I am looking forward to having lots and lots of fun.

4. Love the medal holders! (I spy a Pugicorn!) Mine hang from some random nails in my kitchen that were already there when I bought the house… (it’s a 250 year old house. There’s a lot of random things sticking out of it.)
    Nice work bumping up the miles! I’m in the post half mileage reduction phase… I ran 2 for national running day. My body was still a little angry about that mountainous half but I couldn’t skip National Running Day! Then 3 on Thursday with my running buddy and her pup. I had to skip my weekend run because my horse kicked me in the head. I didn’t feel up to running, but I did walk 3 miles. I had to finish my virtual two week marathon!
    Summer is my time for horse showing! I just brought my horse up to NY to stay with the trainer, and I go up Thursday to show. First one of the seaon for us… yikes!
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Nicole’s CreationsMy Profile

PUGICORN!!!!

I am crazy jealous of your 250 year old house. IT must have so much character!

OMG – your horse!!! That’s so scary! I hope you are ok! Be careful!

Best of luck with your show! I know you’re going to do great!

5. How cute are those cookies?! I love weeks where everything just clicks
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Spicy Summer Gazpacho-Meatless MondayMy Profile

6. Are those Mizuno Wave Inspires 11s that I see? I love my 10s!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5My Profile

7. jan says:

You are so amazing at decorating cakes & cookies! Those are unbelievable. My kids LOVE feeding koi too. I get completely grossed out by their big mouths that you can see way too far into and also by the weird noises that they make!
    jan recently posted…Young Adult LitMy Profile

Thank you! I like to joke that I have a lot of absolutely useless skills – like decorating cakes and cookies. I taught myself when we moved here and I was pregnant with little man. I needed something to do to help fill my time after I left my job, and it seemed like something I should know.

These koi were lunatics. They were jumping and nipping at each other! Ew!

8. Kerri Olkjer says:

REALLY cute shoes (both pairs). What are they?
    Kerri Olkjer recently posted…Jillian Michaels BodyShred Weeks 1 and 2 Ignite + What Fit Means to MeMy Profile

9. The koi are so beautiful! So are those SHOES!
    Coach Henness recently posted…Simple Thoughts on SuccessMy Profile

10. Jennifer says:

Those cookies look amazing. I love the medal holder 🙂
    Jennifer recently posted…Chicago Marathon Training Week 1 – 6/1-6/7My Profile

11. OMG those cookies are adorable. I have such a hard time with royal icing!! That takes some serious talent! Nice job mama on your runs too!

Thank you!

Royal icing is ok, once you figure out how to tame it. I have actually just learned some new techniques and I am itching to make another batch of cookies to see how it goes.

Productive and fun week! Those cookies are adorable! Love your new medal rack too!
    Marcia recently posted…You’re Made for So Much MoreMy Profile

13. Carmy says:

Those koi look so colourful and gorgeous. I want a koi pond ):
    Carmy recently posted…Monday on the Run #26My Profile

14. Oh my goodness I love your teacher gifts! So thoughtful and creative!
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…Helpful Cycling Safety tips for the newbie cyclist or triathleteMy Profile

15. What a great way to end the school year! I’m sure your sons teacher really appreciated her gifts. It’s great to hear when kids love their teachers!! Love the idea of water balloons and silly string – how awesome!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Peach Blackberry Cobbler RecipeMy Profile

So far, we have been incredibly lucky with teachers. Our school is great, and little man gets along with people in general, but it’s nice that it’s all been smooth sailing.

Last year, the bus driver brought her own cooler of water balloons – she got the kids off the bus and then just went to town. It was fabulous. This year, we mixed it up on her.

16. I love the water during the summer! Those cookies are super cute- great job! Good job on the miles, I hope to up mine too 🙂
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…life*hack? What is it?My Profile

I feel like now that I”ve started increasing, it will get easier.

I like going to the pool super early when I am alone, but it never seems to work out that way.

17. I do believe everything is better with sprinkles on top!
    Wendy@TakingtheLongWayHome recently posted…A running adventureMy Profile

18. Angie says:

Those cookies are awesome! I am amazed by your talent.

I have a huge mental block with running right now. I ran 5 miles on Sunday, and it was hard. I wanted to quit after a mile.
    Angie recently posted…Summer vacationMy Profile

19. Artney says:

Those cookies are way too cute! My nephews love feeding the koi! Love your Mizunos. Seems like you had a busy, yet productive week!
    Artney recently posted…Jumping into June (Jump Rope) Challenge – #jijcMy Profile

20. jill conyers says:

Jenn your medal hanger is so cool! My workout week went great except for not being able to go to yoga as often as I would liked. No worries, 2 days until summer break!!
    jill conyers recently posted…10 Healthy and Happy Life HacksMy Profile

21. Toni says:

Great job with your workouts!!! When I get my new house I am going to have a room dedicated to running to hang all my medals, I love your medal hanger. My workout week was awesome.
    Toni recently posted…Weekly Workout Wrap-Up, K-Fit Challenge Week 3My Profile