weekly recap: 3/13– 3/19

This puts us about halfway through March, which is absolute lunacy. I can’t even believe it!

Sunday – cycling, 4 miles

I actually felt pretty good after Gate, which was encouraging. I was tired from the heat and dehydration, and sore because that was the first time I’d run in a while, but other than that, I was A-ok.

The weather was gorgeous, so I convinced little man to join me on a bike ride. He wasn’t digging it, until I promised him we would see zebras, and then he was totally on board. We had a blast.

The rest of the day was kind of lazy, which was fine by me.

Monday – body circuit, 60 minutes

I felt even stronger in body circuit. I have to admit that these moments are encouraging and I hope that I can get them to continue.

Tuesday – rest

It was a quiet Tuesday. After work and school, little man did his homework and we cooked dinner together. He’s really taking a great deal of ownership in the kitchen, and it’s absolutely fantastic.

Wednesday – rest

Little man was presenting his diorama project school, and his teacher has asked for a few volunteers to help out. I wasn’t working so I was able to go in to assist. I also got to watch his presentation, which was awesome. He did a great job putting everything together, and I was so happy I got to be there.

Thursday – rest

After work, it was time to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. We had dinner in a little Irish bar and then we met up with our friend, who was going to take little man to an acrobatics show with her boys. We got drinks at a restaurant not too far away to wait for them to be finished. It sounded like they all had a wonderful time and little man was especially impressed by the acrobat who balanced with one hand on a tower of eight chairs. Hopefully, he won’t try to duplicate the act at home.

Friday – 2.5 miles

Little man was scheduled for all day play date with his bestie, so I did some cleaning, and ran errands and I also decided to try a training run.

It took a while for me to convince myself that I could get out there and do it. I knew it would be ugly and miserable, simply because I’ve lost a lot of strength in my left leg, but sitting around and doing nothing isn’t going to make it stronger, either. I took my time, and stopped a couple of times to stretch.

I’m not going to lie. It was awful and miserable and I was so angry that my body just won’t work the way I want it to, right now. I know that it will pass and that I just have to be patient with myself, but in the moment, it’s hard to be at peace with that.

But at least Mr PugRunner and I had a date to see Deadpool, (FINALLY) which would help take my mind off things.

It was absolutely amazing. Horribly inappropriate, but I loved every second of it. WE had all had a long couple of days, and we were so glad to pick up little man and get to bed.

Saturday – cycling, 6.5 miles

A long bike ride sounded like a great way to recover from Friday’s run. The weather was decent and I was hopeful that I could loosen things up enough to be able to toe the start line in my planned St. Patrick’s Day race on Sunday.

After a shower, little man and I headed to my parents’. They were planning on having him visit for a bit over Spring Break, so we got his vacation started.

So things are going. And that’s all I can ask. Obviously, I am an impatient creature and wish that things would progress more rapidly, but that’s not how it works, and I just have to get a grip. Mr PugRunner and I had a big chat about my plans after Savannah, and we talked about me swimming and getting back to yoga, in addition to cycling and maybe spin, to help improve my range of motion and leg turnover. In some ways, recovery and rehab is going to be more work than actually training to run. I’m trying to be excited about trying some new things, and switching gears a little, even though I don’t love the reasons for the change.

How was your week in training?

If you and/or your kids have a Spring Break this year, how are you spending it?

34 Responses to weekly recap: 3/13– 3/19

1. You have zebras on your bike route?? Well how cool is that!

I love riding my bike, and enjoyed the past couple of weeks when we had warm weather. It’s back to cold now — yuck!

Enjoy your day and have a great week!
    Michelle Rogers recently posted…Week includes a parade and my first 5K!My Profile

We do! We have all kinds of things out here, so at least it keeps it interesting!

Last week it was in the 80s and this morning was in the 40s, so that’s not too fun, but it will be summer soon enough. You have a great week as well!

2. It sounds like you have a solid plan and a variety of exercises is probably what’s best for you right now.
    Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted…Run for L’Arche 2016 recapMy Profile

3. Mixing things up is always a good thing. Sorry you’re struggling a bit but at least you are getting back out there and thinking through how to best move forward! You’ll get there 🙂 Sounds like a great week though!
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…April Fools Half Training Week 9My Profile

4. I’m sorry that last run didn’t go as planned. Sometimes you need a run like that to help re-motivate you! I’m glad you liked Deadpool. My boyfriend saw it with some guy friends and said it was hysterical!
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Green Blender Review + DiscountMy Profile

5. Carmy says:

Tower of 8 chairs?! Def hope he doesn’t try that at home haha!
    Carmy recently posted…The Top 6 Trails in ScarboroughMy Profile

6. We all have runs that don’t go as planned I think it just cycles for me. Mixing it up a bit should help. Have a great week!
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Vegetarian Breakfast Lasagna You Will Jump Out Of Bed ForMy Profile

7. Margo says:

Recovery is tough to deal with sometimes. I have had hamstring issues off an on for months. Good luck with your recovery!
    Margo recently posted…Brooklyn Fit Chick Playlist: Featuring The Killers, Dear Rouge, P!nk, TLC and More!My Profile

8. Cassi says:

They have a 2 week “spring intercession” starting next week. We never have any plans for these breaks.

Do you have year-round school? I know I’m the odd woman out, but I really like the concept. There would be some growing pains figuring out care and activities, but I feel like kids lose so much over summer break. #funburglar

9. Its never easy to deal with our struggling bodies, especially when our minds are most than ready to get back at it. Hopefully mixing things up will help restrengthen your body so that you can get back at running.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7My Profile

10. Kim Hatting says:

It sounds like you are staying very active, that’s gonna help the healing process. I took a bit of an off-season this winter…I stayed very active, but none of my runs were further than 6 miles (except for a 15K race on NYE when we were in Cali). This is the first spring (in several years), I’m actually starting my training cycle pain-free…and I’m gonna take things slow and gradual in training for my 13.1’s this spring. I’ve learned there’s nothing to be gained by over-doing it. Chin UP!! You’ve got this!!

11. My younger son would totally be trying that balance on a tower of 8 chairs thing. He’s a daredevil like that.

Hope that all of the cross training helps you get back on the road to running. Sometimes that’s what our bodies need.
    MCM Mama Runs recently posted…White House, racing, and feuds, oh my!My Profile

12. You weren’t kidding when you said you got me on the injury thing..I really appreciate your empathy! But wouldn’t it be better if we both weren’t injured? Ugh. I’m taking my legs on the road tomorrow. I sure hope it goes well.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Big Sur Marathon Training Week 7My Profile

13. Coco says:

Recovery and rehab can be really hard, but can also make you that much stronger. Trying different things helps too!

14. It is so hard to wait to run when you can’t. I was in your shoes last year with injury but through it I came to gain a love of swimming and cycling. Love Little Man’s diorama. My daughter has a similar project due next week!
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…It’s Spring! Celebrate with prAna and #PRANAStyleMy Profile

15. I used to hate cross training for training but since I started doing more cycling I have really loved it and I really do think it will help with leg turnover. Best of luck to you!
    Patty @ Reach Your Peak recently posted…5 Yoga Tips For BeginnersMy Profile

16. Sorry to hear that your run didn’t go as planned 🙁 Fortunately, you had the movie to take your mind off of things! I’ve been meaning to go see Deadpool. I love Marvel movies, and this one looks good too!

17. I am sorry things are going as well as you had hoped but sounds like you have some great activities planned to keep you motivated and strong! enjoy Spring break!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Faithful to………..yogaMy Profile