weekly wrap: 7.31 – 8.6

It’s Monday, and that means it’s time for the Weekly Wrap with HoHo Runs and MissSippi Piddlin!

WeeklyWrap

If you do a weekly recap post, this is a great way to check in with other active bloggers for extra support, sharing and accountability!

Sunday – rest

And rest we did. We went over to our friends’ house for a day of swimming.

Everyone pitched in with food and we enjoyed lunch and cocktails until late afternoon. It was much-needed and so fun. I also loved how it was a completely spontaneous event, and it all worked out beautifully.

Monday – 5 miles (Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Series – Drum Solo)

I took advantage of the early wakeup to get in both my five miles and the second part of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Series: the Drum Solo.*

I can’t wait to hang this bling on my medal rack!

Tuesday – 3 miles

Time to get back to my group run! I wasn’t really thrilled when the alarm went off, but I put in my three miles without complaint. I didn’t want to do more because I had run the day before. The three was enough.

It was also time to start my yoga challenge (#theheartofpractice on Instagram).

Wednesday – rest

We really wanted to make a trip to the Itchetucknee River to do some tubing, but the forecast called for thunderstorms, and I wasn’t keen on driving two hours just to get rained out. Instead, we went up to the Fort Clinch State Park to visit the fort and the beach.

It ended up being a great choice, and we had so much fun exploring.

When the storm clouds started to roll in, we packed it up and headed to Tasty’s. It’s pretty much our favorite.

While I was in the bathroom (and not supervising LOL) little man somehow ended up with a vanilla milkshake. We all shared it – it was way too big for any one person.

Thursday – 5 miles

Another group run, this time with bridges. I ran four with a friend and one on my own.

Friday – rest

I was very grateful for a rest day. Sadly, sleeping in wasn’t to be, but it was nice not to have to run out in the heat and humidity.

After work, we joined my parents for dinner at a Japanese hibachi place. Little man and I split a shrimp and chicken meal and we had a great time with the chef’s performance (even though we’ve all seen it before – it just never gets old).

Saturday – 8 miles

This was a bit of a disappointment. I had intended to go for 11 miles, but I woke up and was just. so. tired. I didn’t want to get up, didn’t want to run, and generally had a crappy attitude about all of it. My performance (or lack thereof) showed it.

In fact, I ended up texting one of my running friends for moral support – I just didn’t think I could finish and I was in tears when I got home. It was all pretty disappointing, but I took a shower, brushed it off as best I could, and got on with my day.

I had some friends come in from the panhandle to spend the night, and we had a great girls’ night in. A few other mutual friends joined us and it was perfect: there was a mashed potato bar, plenty of wine and cocktails, and lots of wonderful conversation. It’s literally been years since I’ve seen them, and we can’t let it be so long next time.

For the week ahead, the plan is simple. Little man goes back to school, so that will be the top priority: getting back in the routine. After that, my focus will go to getting my long run mojo back, a 5K on Saturday, and maybe a family outing on Sunday to celebrate the first week of 3rd Grade.

How was your week in training?

When a run isn’t going well, do you bail, modify the distance or gut it out?

*As a Rock ‘n’ Blogger, my entry to the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Series/Make a Band and Global Tour Pass were complimentary. All opinions are my own.

43 Responses to weekly wrap: 7.31 – 8.6

1. Elle says:

Love the beach and the dunes… we don’t have those dunes on our beaches here and the sand is so inviting!

Sounds like another fun week and I always enjoy your pictures.
    Elle recently posted…3 Cheers for Chia!My Profile

2. I am a gut it out person, pretty much always. I don’t know why, really, I guess fear of being undertrained (which has happened), and it’s not really always wise.

Sounds like a pretty solid week despite the shortened long run.
    Judy @ Chocolaterunsjudy recently posted…Cookie recovery: 8/1-7 Weekly WrapMy Profile

3. I could spend all summer at the beach! We’ve just finished our vacation but spent two days at different beaches and loved it (minus the sunburn).
    Looks like you still had a pretty great week, despite your long run being a little shorter. Sometimes we just have to do that.

4. I love the beach. We are just finished vacation but spent two days at two different beaches.
    Looks like you still had a pretty great week, despite the shorter long run. Great job!

5. I usually gut it out. But there’s usually more walking than is probably actually called for. #lazyrunner
    Looks like another great week for you and the family! Mashed potato bar sounds like something that only exists in my dreams!
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Thursday’s Threads!My Profile

That mashed potato bar is making an appearance at future get togethers. It was fabulous (and I am still eating the leftovers).

I think I’m lazy too. Which stinks. But I guess it is what it is. As long as we keep moving forward, right?
      runswithpugs recently posted…weekly wrap: 7.31 – 8.6My Profile

6. Margo says:

I try to gut it out as well. Looks like you and your family are having a great summer!
    Margo recently posted…Our newest Fit Bottomed Girls Podcast has @AprilRossBeach #Olympics2016My Profile

7. Love the picture of the storm clouds rolling in on the beach! Sometimes you just do what you can to survive a run, including cutting one short! Totally okay in my book!
    Jennifer @ Dashing in Style recently posted…Marathon Training Week 5: IcebreakersMy Profile

8. Heather says:

The most important thing is that you got out there and did something, even if it sucked. We have all been there and truly understand.

9. I forgot about the rock n roll virtual race. I need to check that out! Have a great week
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Greek Pasta Salad with a TwistMy Profile

10. Carmy says:

That tunnel looks so beautiful!
    Carmy recently posted…Monday on the Run #48My Profile

11. when I’m stuck in a bad run, it all depends on the situation as to how I handle it. If I’m just flat-out exhausted (and probably shouldn’t have laced up to begin with), I’ll cut it short, or allow myself some walk intervals. If the weather is too hot/cold/rainy, I’ll try to modify my pace first…then possibly cut it short if it’s too dangerous to even be outside. If I’m more than halfway done, and things are still a struggle, I’ll try to gut it out. If I’m in pain, though, I will almost always stop, walk, or head home. If there’s pain/injury, my form will probably be off and that will not do me any favors by continuing. None the less…the tough runs really teach us a lot about our perseverance & strength 😉
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…Back in the Running Shoes!My Profile

You’re right – there’s always a lesson. I wasn’t hurting (my pride, of course, but that’s it). Unfortunately, it’s the weather. It’s just ruining everything. It has to end at some point.

12. Any week that contains a vanilla milkshake sounds pretty good to me. I know you didn’t get in all the miles you wanted for that long run, but you still got out there and got in most of them. Sometimes we just have crappy days. You’ll get back at it next week!
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Dairy Free Sea Salted Caramel Frozen Custard (gluten free, soy free)My Profile

13. Debbie says:

Great training week! I need to get my drum solo done. At least I remembered to sign up this time!
    Debbie recently posted…The Ultimate Vegan Jackfruit Burrito RecipeMy Profile

14. Karen says:

You had a good week and 8 miles is a good long run! I hate the feeling though when you don’t set out to do what you planned. I have dealt with that several times over the past three weeks. It always leaves me feeling crabby.
    Your park looks great 🙂

15. Annmarie says:

I still have yet to participate in the virtual runs, I honestly totally forgot about them…oops!

16. I’ve had a lot of tough runs lately–fortunately I haven’t set long distance goals and haven’t had to bail on them. I’m pretty glad I’m not training for anything right now!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Staying Grounded, Staying AfloatMy Profile

17. I want: that medal, that burger, that shake. In that order 🙂
    Markita @ Sweshfit recently posted…4 habits of fit people that you never even noticedMy Profile

18. I always try to gut it out, but sometimes it just isn’t going to happen. I’m ready for some cooler weather to start making running fun again.

I can’t believe you guys are going back to school already. We still have almost a month of summer left.
    MCM Mama Runs recently posted…That time my skirt fell down and I PR’d my 5kMy Profile

19. Thanks for reminding me that I still need to complete my Drum Solo run. Good thing I still have another week to do it!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6My Profile

20. Toni says:

We are back to school next week. As far as what I do when a run doesn’t go well depends. Usually I try to gut it out, but this week my long run didn’t go week due to a bad back so I bailed on 12 miles and ended up with 7 instead, better safe than sorry.
    Toni recently posted…Training For The NYC Marathon With ShoebuyMy Profile

21. Beautiful pictures!!! I have heard a lot about the RnR Virtual races but didn’t realize the medals were so fabulous. RnR really does the medals very well. Your girls night sounds AMAZING. Mashed potato bar? YES PLEASE! Can’t believe it’s already back-to-school time for so many youngsters, too. Where has the summer gone? You had a terrific training week!

22. HoHo Runs says:

My youngest returns to school this week. I do appreciate the routine of it but his summer seemed so quick! Some runs are just tough for no reason. It always surprises me when they are short distances too. Today was supposed to be speed. The air was so thick, I modified to a progression. No way could I have done any speed. I’ve never seen a mashed potato bar. Sounds delish! Thanks for linking, Jenn!

23. You always find such funs places to explore! Long run motivation is tough- I do just try to tough it out and not be so hard on myself if it wasn’t the best. Good luck with back to school- 3rd grade is exciting times!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…August with StepBet Week OneMy Profile

24. Angie says:

I love Tasty’s! I need to go back there soon!

I feel you on the motivation. I am lacking it lately, and it makes running very difficult.
    Angie recently posted…Lazy summer daysMy Profile