It’s Groundhog Day – six more weeks of winter – and time to see where we are at.
January ended with a bit of a whimper. We had a bit of an emergency at home, which took precedence over pretty much everything, so my training came screeching to a halt.
I was really hoping to score 85 miles for the month, which would put me on track for a whopping 1000 miles in 2017. However, I am 12 short, which really grinds my gears.
I also fell off track with my cross training. The start of the month was all systems go, but my calendar filled up pretty quickly, and with Mr PugRunner not feeling well for so long, I was getting run down and worn out, myself. Usually, I am pretty good at keeping things together, but it didn’t work out like that this time.
Planking was going great, until January 28, when things unraveled a bit. Certainly, I’m not proud of myself for allowing the derailment, but the best we can do is shake it off and move on.
What’s the plan for February? I have a few things in mind.
- 90 miles. That should compensate for my deficit and also be pretty good for my base for some of my longer upcoming races. I really want running to become more comfortable and second-nature, and I think the only way to manage that is by adjusting mimics to allow for it.
- Time to resume bridge training. While it’s a little later than I would normally start for Gate River Run, I’ve just been incredibly conservative about my training and feel comfortable pushing myself again.
- Maaaaaybe add in an extra day of running, dedicated to shorter speed workouts? Maybe.
Cross Training –
- I am starting back to boot camp on Monday. I promised my running buddy that I would get my butt up at 4:15 AM to meet her for class and I am committed to it.
- I want to go to yoga at least once a week. There is a Thursday morning class I can usually attend, and they have added a sunrise Wednesday class that I can snag otherwise.
- Francine the Bike needs to get some fresh air. I already scheduled a long ride with another friend, and now that the weather seems to be warming up a little, getting out on that bike seems way more feasible.
- I am back in the plank challenge and I plan to plank every dang day.
- I’ve been slacking on my water consumption, and I need to dial that in immediately.
- I plan to continue being consistent with my protein intake and trying to bulk up on fruits and veggies while watching carbs and sugars. Nothing too strict, but awareness is good.
I love staring down at a clean slate, and I hope that I can get back to feeling like forward progress is happening.
What are your goals for February?
How did you end things with January?