weekly wrap: 7.15.2018 – 7.21.2018

Happy Monday!  It’s time for the Weekly Wrap with HoHo Runs and Taking The Long Way Home!

If you do a weekly recap post, this is a great way to check in with other active bloggers for extra support, sharing and accountability.

Here’s the week in numbers:

Sunday – 4.37 miles, running
Monday – 6 miles, running
Tuesday – rest
Wednesday – 6 miles. running; 300 abs
Thursday – rest
Friday – 7 miles, running
Saturday – rest

There was a lot going on this week. Little man was back in some camp activities, we wanted to hang out with my parents a little, and there were some more Springs adventures to be had. Let’s take a look.

Sunday – 4.37 miles, running

Usually, I shoot for that even number, but I had a bit of a tummy issue and so I hightailed it for home. I haven’t had GI issues in a while, so I wasn’t too upset.

Some of the girls and I made a run to a new craft donut place: Fiction Donuts. These are, of course, different from all the other places, and I”m not really sure which ones are “the best”. I really loved the Boston Cream and the Berry Goat Cheese, and I loved that the flavors were a little more simple than some of the other places. Sometimes, I just want a plain-ish donut.

After lunch, I went to a PTA planning meeting while the boys went to go hang with some friends. I can’t say it enough: I can’t believe school is starting soon!

Monday – 6 miles, running

I started the day with a good run with friends.

Little man had his first day of Apple camp, with a theme of creating music in GarageBand. I love the free Apple camps – the kids spend three days at 90 minute sessions learning things like coding or animation or music making, and at the end of their week, they create a “final project.” It’s engaging and educational and such a great service from a brand I love so much.

When he was done with his first lesson, we grabbed drive-thru lunch and drove to meet one of my friends and her boys for a pool afternoon. We hadn’t seen them in a while, so they had fun.

And then it was pretty much straight to karate.

We do Mondays like it’s our job.

Tuesday – rest

S and I had been looking to do another Springs day and we settled on Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest. It was a bit of a different experience – the park is literally in the middle of nowhere, so we were completely off the grid as far as directions and other forms of contact. Yikes.

This park included a beautiful hiking trail, as well as a swimming hole. We were able to snag a picnic table near the swimming area, and then enjoy the boardwalk hike. We saw plenty of spiders and butterflies, as well as a tree lizard, a skink and a green snake!

By that point, the weather was warming up and we were ready for the cold Springs water.There was some snorkeling and lots of splashing and playing.

Unfortunately, the rain drove us out a little after lunch, so we called it a day.

Wednesday – 6 miles, running

Another solid run.

And then back to camp. This time, the kids used GarageBand to create their own cover of the Pharrell song “Happy.” It was really crazy to hear how many different variations they made.

We did a little more back to school shopping and picked up some last minute items for little man’s upcoming Scouts camp. It would be time to start packing for that, as well.

Thursday – rest

My parents asked if we could get together and we decided to spend the morning at Top Golf. It had been a few years for us and they had never been. We made an early reservation and everyone had a blast. Little man really had some great shots, and it might be time to start thinking about getting him golf lessons.

We had lunch together and then parted ways. I was ready for a chill afternoon and little man wanted to play with his neighborhood friends. Also, we were in the process of having our roof replaced. There was a terrible hail storm a few months back and it did a great deal of damage to a lot of the homes (and cars) in our area. Fortunately, that damage was covered, so I was beyond happy to be getting all those new shingles. Obviously, this makes me officially old and boring, but it has made a huge difference to the house, and I love it.

Friday – 7 miles, running

I took advantage of feeling great to make it my long run day and logged seven miles. Whoo hoo.

The three of us went to the final session of Apple camp and little man’s musical creation was awesome! (I posted it on Instagram if you want to check it out).

We celebrated with some Buffalo Macaroni & Cheese at Noodles & Co. It’s one of his favorites.

That evening, we had some really cool plans: the Rock the Block Gummy Fest at Sweet Pete’s Candy.

We started with reservations at the attached Candy Apple Cafe, and then worked our way through seven gummy stations, crafts, lollipop making and an outdoor party area with live music, bounce houses and this rodeo shark.

Despite the rain (which cleared fairly quickly), it was a blast!

Saturday – rest

Since little man had so much fun roller skating last week, we took him to one of the lessons  at the rink to get him more comfortable. He did well and we are hoping to try him on his roller blades again soon.

That afternoon, we had a pool party for one his friend’s sisters, and then the rest of the evening was spent packing frantically for his three day camping trip. This is first time doing something like this and I wanted to make sure he had everything he would need.

I am thrilled with the last week. We had so much fun, did so many cool things, and I got in lots of miles, too. The summer humidity is definitely sapping my motivation, though. I need to work on my mental game a bit.

How was your week in training?

What’s your favorite kind of gummy?

31 Responses to weekly wrap: 7.15.2018 – 7.21.2018

Berry Goat cheese…Oh my!!

I see you got in a lot of running in the middle of all your other activities. You inspire me.

Hmmm. probably cherry gummy
    Darlene recently posted…Weekly Wrap for 7.16.18-7.22.18 – Here comes the rain again….My Profile

It was really good. I usually prefer chocolate things, but I can never turn down goat cheese.

I am trying really hard to get in a lot, and things will hopefully calm down once school starts. I feel like I always say that, but in the meantime, I’m having fun and that’s what matters.

2. I agree the summer is flying by! My kids are off to college in just 3 weeks yikes
    Deborah @ Confessions of mother runner recently posted…5 minute Cucumber Pineapple Gazpacho SoupMy Profile

3. Next summer, I want to come hang out with you guys! So many fun activities! And yummy food!
    How far are you from Ocala? I have a bunch of friends that show there in the winters.
    Stacie Seidman recently posted…Thursday’s ThreadsMy Profile

60-90 minutes, depending on what part of Ocala. Not far at all! You totally need to let me know when you are in town and we will absolutely hang! And eat all the yummy foods!

4. Kim G says:

Awesome job on all of your runs this week!

Also those donuts look amazing and now I think I may be on the hunt for a good donut in my town, lol

5. You had some great miles this week! That Apple camp sounds like so much fun – and how great that it was free! You’ve really given your son some great activities this summer.
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Chicago Race WeekMy Profile

6. Chrissy says:

Those donuts look incredible, haha! My hubby and I just randomly started talking about how we want to try to eat the best donuts in every single state in the US. #goals, lol

7. Andrea says:

What a great week! I’ve heard good things about that camp. And now I want a donut…

8. Wendy says:

I can’t believe it’s going to be August next week! Where has the summer gone?

You sure pack a lot in! I love that Apple camp.

9. I had to laugh at your “old person” comment about your shingles. Several years ago, we had a nasty hail storm, and it did so much damage everywhere. We got new siding out of it, though!

10. Those donuts sound delicious. Is it similar to Duck Donuts? They are awesome! I just recently did Top Golf the other week for the first time, so fun!
    Lacey@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…Disney’s Newest Fun RunMy Profile

Nope. Duck Donuts are their own thing. I love those too – it’s so yummy to get to customize your own topping and get a fresh, warm donut made to order. I really think I have a donut problem. I should get that checked out.

11. Shathiso says:

What an awesome and fun-filled week! My husband has been an Apple Fan since the very first computer came out so I just know he would love that Apple Camp for our kids!

12. I’ve never heard of those Apple camps, but what a great idea! That park hike sounds like so much fun! I also can’t believe summer is flying by as fast as it is. My youngest is leaving for his senior year in college in just a few weeks!

13. You all had a busy but very fun week last week. Kudos to you for getting all of the miles in that you did. Balancing everything with a kiddo’s schedule is so hard sometimes.

Some days it’s almost impossible! My calendar is starting to fill up with Scouts and PTA stuff, in addition to his obligations, and i’m feeling just a wee bit overwhelmed. I can’t believe it will al be coming to an end in just a few short weeks.

14. Esther says:

My training has been on hold since I hurt my knee about a month ago 🙁 But, I have been taking advantage of getting in some extra rest and getting some much needed projects done around the house.
    Your week sounds really fun! I would like to go to Apple camp! So cool!
    I have never been to a gummy fest, but bring it on! LOL

15. omg I’m totally coming to spend the rest of the summer with you guys! you are having SO MUCH FUN plus I know I’d get some runs in with you and your friends 😉

gummies…. hmmmm I don’t know! I like “the red ones” usually! I just eat the goudbaer gummies, usually when we are driving through Germany haha!
    Renée @runlaugheatpie recently posted…Week 29 – All Aboard the Struggle Bus!My Profile

16. HoHo Runs says:

You are really packing in the adventures this summer! It’s amazing how many fun local things you’ve found to do. It’s pretty cool Apple has a camp like that. And free!?! I like doughnuts but they do not like me. Thanks for linking!

Totally free! They also offer clinics throughout the year for adults (and kids), too! Mr PugRunner has taken some of them and found them really helpful. Great customer service.