week 14 (20): loss of joy

I think you all know I’m a pretty positive person, but this week, I just felt this awful loss of joy. It was heavy and consuming, and I just didn’t know what to do.

Sunday – 3 mile walk + Day 5 of 2 Week Core Challenge + PT Exercises

A bright spot to combat that loss of joy? The Sparkle Athletic Team Sparkle Virtual Run. Every weekend, the ladies at Team Sparkle offer a fun theme, and folks can commit to a distance, dress up in their favorite sparkle gear, and just share in the experience. This week? Mermaids.

loss of joy

It made me happy.

I also loved that the boys made a delicious dinner. They are amazing in the kitchen.

loss of joy
  • Scarecrows (5 lb weights): 60 seconds
  • Front Plank: 60 seconds
  • Toe Touches: 60 seconds
  • Flutter Kicks: 60 seconds

Monday – 2.4 mile walk + Day 6 of 2 Week Core Challenge + PT Exercises

Mr PugRunner joined me for my walk in the morning. It’s been fairly cool in the morning, so that makes things more pleasant.

loss of joy

Monday marked Day 1 of Distance Learning. Little man’s school makes extensive use of an app on the regular, so moving over to full time digital education wasn’t a huge leap. There were some hiccups along the way, but we navigated those and just went with the flow.

• Scarecrows (5 lb weights): 60 seconds
  • Front Plank: 60 seconds
  • Superman: 60 seconds
  • Scissor Kicks: 60 seconds

Tuesday – 2.6 mile walk + Day 7 of 2 Week Core Challenge + PT Exercises

The temperatures dipped into the 40s on Tuesday and I was FREEZING for our walk (I thought I would warm up, but not so much). Oh, well.

Little man had another decent day of “school” and then he started his virtual karate classes. He is supposed to test for his black belt in July, so we are happy that he can at least practice some of his forms and skills.

• Scarecrows (5 lb weights): 60 seconds
  • Front Plank: 60 seconds
  • Superman: 60 seconds
  • Toe Touches: 60 seconds

I was also motivated to sign up for the Run The Edge Un-Canceled Project. It’s a free, four-week virtual race series, where participants can sign up for a weekly virtual distance for accountability and motivation. I need all the help I can get.

Wednesday – 2.55 mile walk + Day 8 of 2 Week Core Challenge + PT Exercises

On Wednesdays, all of little man’s teachers do “live conferences” from 9 AM to 1:30 PM. It’s helpful to be watch in real-time, but they all have to record the lessons and post them for later viewing, because the system gets overloaded quite frequently. It will all work out.

I got up extra early to be sure I would be home in time for his meetings to start, just in case he needed help.

We took a little (no-contact) “field trip” to pick up a school lunch. The county offers packed lunch and breakfast to all students in our area. It was a quick drive, and we never had to leave the vehicle. Little man enjoyed getting out for a few minutes.

• Scarecrows (10 lb weights): 60 seconds
  • Front Plank: 60 seconds
  • Leg Circles: 60 seconds
  • Flutter Kicks: 60 seconds

Thursday – 2.75 mile walk + Day 9 of 2 Week Core Challenge + PT Exercises

Thursday was a big day. I discovered this gorgeous chalk mural on my walk.

And we ordered takeout! With takeout drinks! I don’t drink a lot of alcohol, but I do love a good margarita!

• Scarecrows (5 lb weights): 60 seconds
  • Scissor Kicks: 60 seconds
  • Russian Twists: 60 seconds
  • Front Plank: 60 seconds

Friday – 3.32 mile walk + Day 10 of 2 Week Core Challenge + PT Exercises

I really pushed my pace on Friday. It’s challenging, but I feel better seeing my speed increase. It does take me a few minutes to warm up, but once I do that, it’s not so bad.

I laid out my Flat Sparkle for the next day, embracing the Rainbow theme.

And enjoyed a really great Zoom with some St. Augustine Moms contributors. I went to bed WAY past my bedtime, but it was worth it.

• Scarecrows (10 lb weights): 60 seconds
  • Front Plank: 60 seconds
  • Superman: 60 seconds
  • Leg Circles: 60 seconds

Saturday – 3.2 mile walk + Day 11 of 2 Week Core Challenge + PT Exercises

Happy Team Sparkle Virtual Race and Un-Canceled Project 5K Day! I went out alone and hit a post-injury walking PR!

And then we celebrated with pancakes!

I had two awesome Zoom conferences that afternoon. The first one was with some of the most incredible bloggers! I have been reading some of these ladies for years, and it was so great to be able to actually chat with them. We will certainly make this a thing.

After dinner, I had another call, with my sweet friend Meghan. And then we watched Onward, which was really one of the best movies I’ve seen in some time.

• Superman: 60 seconds
  • Front Plank: 60 seconds
  • Russian Twist: 60 seconds
  • Flutter Kicks: 60 seconds

Goal-getting

I go through ups and downs at this time. This week, that loss of joy led to a bit of hopelessness that I really didn’t like. I always try to get up in the morning, get out in the air and start my day, even if it means just watching TV. The outside time really seems to help.

On a bright note, my comeback 5K has been rescheduled for September 19! I can’t wait, and I really hope things are back to “normal” by then. The thought of still being “safer at home” months from now is really inconceivable.

GOTRNEFL cupcake run

I am linking up with the Weekly Rundown, with Confessions of A Mother Runner and Running on the Fly! Check them out!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is weekly-run-down-final-300x300.jpg

How was your week in training?

Do you feel the loss of joy? How are you managing it?

42 Responses to week 14 (20): loss of joy

1. Kim G says:

It was great to finally chat with you “in person” yesterday on the Zoom call! πŸ™‚

So happy that the online learning went well for your little man. Also, how cool that he can do virtual karate classes? I love that. I think it’s great that so many are making the best out of this situation and using the resources afforded to them.

Every morning when I wake up I’m a little sad. While I’m happy that everyone I know is happy and healthy, I’m just so anxious about the next upcoming weeks. I’ve found that my morning workouts have helped me deal with this a little better.

I’m always sad when I wake up. It’s just so hard to face this reality. I’m doing it because I have to, but I hate it.

He starts virtual scouting tonight, and I’m so happy for that. It will be good for him to spend “time” with his patrol and work on some more advancements and merit badges.

2. Laurie says:

You are so lucky to have your guys cook dinner! I am so tired of eating food I have cooked myself! πŸ™‚ I’m gonna tell Bill he’s in charge of dinner one day next week, even if we just have scrambled eggs, it will be good to have a break from cooking.

I am feeling a little bit down right now. I need to work on my gratitude – my family is all healthy, I can still run, I have a house with lots of things to distract me…

Listen, mixing it up is a huge thing. I bet they will be delicious scrambled eggs. It’s ok to not be grateful too, though. This is a collective trauma and it’s ok to be sad and down.

3. It was so nice to get to chat w you and see your smiling face. Just keep moving forward we will get through this thing. Have a healthy week ahead. Thanks for linking up

4. I go back and forth on how I feel. If we’re talking death toll and job loss I’m pretty sad, if we’re talking being on lock down with my family, that’s been wonderful. One of my favorite races that was supposed to be in April was rescheduled for October, and the fall views are going to be spectacular, so I’m looking forward to that.
    Beckett @ Birchwood Pie recently posted…Weekly Sweats: a Virtual 10k!My Profile

That’s great that your race will be at a pretty time of year. I love being home with the family, but there’s just a lingering air of stress and worry and fear. I could do without all of that. Hang in there.

5. Jessie says:

so cute that your guys cook dinner! What a treat πŸ™‚ Glad you are getting out and getting so much fresh air! It’s such a weird time for everyone, but I’m glad the online learning is going relatively well!

6. Wendy says:

Oh my gosh, you said exactly how I feel: loss of joy. I’m scared, I’m bored, I’m worried…it’s everything. I’m troubled by some people’s relaxed attitude about this. It’s a good thing we have our workouts–I’m so glad you feel better and that you’re moving much more. We got this, right? <3

All of those things. I mean, it sucks. That’s the fact of it. No one wants to be stuck at home or not out enjoying spring, but it’s not going to get better if people keep spreading it.

We got this!

7. Great week! Nice seeing and chatting with you on ZOOM yesterday πŸ˜‰ We all got this, each in our own way…one day at a time πŸ˜‰

8. Cari says:

Oh now I remember whose blog I yoinked the core challenge from. Scarecrows are evil – just saying.

So good to see you yesterday. We’ll all get there – somehow, some way

Yeah, and I’m sorry about that LOL! I finished it today and I am not sorry it’s over! I liked the scarecrows the best of any of it, but now I can shelve the entire thing!

9. Coco says:

That’s a stack of pancakes! And they look perfect! I think these days are a rollercoaster of emotions β€” so many highs and lows. It’s great that your son can do remote karate lessons. It was great chatting yesterday!

10. So glad you have a new date for your race! Its so hard to think about how long this might go on for. I’m trying to just take it one week at a time, hoping that in a few weeks we will have some good news. I know it will take a long time for things to get back to normal.
    You are doing so great with your walks and building your mileage!

I know. Right now, it seems like our summer is shot, which is pretty gutting, especially after being stuck in the house for so long. It’s not the end of the world, of course, but i was looking so forward to that break.

11. Darlene S. Cardillo says:

You are amazing.

I would have signed up for those virtual races but I had already signed up for earth day which I will do 13.1.

Hooray for comeback races. You are so patient. Kudos.

12. Catrina says:

I love the Team Sparkle outfit! Well done on the walking 5k PR!
    I did the Un-Cancelled Project as well. I think it’s a lot of fun!
    Isn’t it great to have the running-blog community at times like this? It’s encouraging to know that we’re not in this alone.
    Have a good week!
    Catrina recently posted…The Swiss Lockdown and My Outdoor GymMy Profile

13. Chaitali says:

Sorry last week was so tough, I hope there is more joy this week! I love that chalk art you found and how cool that they can do a virtual karate class! Congrats on that post injury PR πŸ™‚
    Chaitali recently posted…Weekly ReviewMy Profile

14. So far I’m really pretty good because I am busy & enjoy what I’m doing. Seriously, I could use a few more hours in my days!

40 is cold for FL. πŸ™‚

Sounds like Little Man is being kept occupied, and that’s great. By Sept I have to imagine we will be so much further along, but no matter what, we’ll be stronger!

I think the word that best describes my state of mind most of the time lately is “fragile”. The uncertainty of coronavirus coupled with my dad’s health is tough to bear. It’s hard for me to focus. My mind races. I’ve never leaned on running as hard as I am right now. How great to have two cooks in the house other than yourself! Kudos to the little man and his school district for keeping all of that running smoothly. One way or another we will get through all of this and we’ll look back in amazement.
    So wonderful to chat with you the other day!

Ugh. I hate that word, but you’re right. It’s a good descriptor for all this. I am so sorry about your dad. It’s the last thing you should have to worry about right now.

I’m thrilled the guys can cook. I love doing it, but I am just so uninterested in food right now, and also it’s hard to stand on my leg to cook a meal towards the end of the day.

We will get through this and it will be ok.

16. Michelle D. says:

It’s definitely been a roller coaster of emotions lately. I seem to start every morning a little sad – meditation has been helping me to center myself a bit…not easy.

Huge congrats on your walking PR! And I’m so glad your comeback 5K was reschedule – something to look forward to.

It was so great to see you and chat on Saturday – can’t wait to do it again!

17. It’s easy to feel discouraged and sad with everything going on. But you’re doing all the right things to try and turn that around. I randomly feel really sad. I haven’t seen my horses. It’s hard! But I’m trying to get moving too, and find all the good that’s happening around me. We will all get through this <3

18. My comeback 5K has been postponed, but they haven’t set a new date yet. I suspect it will be rescheduled for the fall so the Firecracker 5K might be my comeback race. Hopefully, we’re freed by then!

I’m sure Little Man is happy to have somewhat of a routine again and how cool that his karate is available for him.

It was great to finally “meet” you at our coffee date on Zoom on Saturday. Here’s hoping that you have a much better week. Take care of yourself and stay safe!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted…The Learning Curve of Taking My Business VirtualMy Profile

Same to you! I feel like all the races are going to be rescheduled for the same weekends and it’s going to be a mad frenzy of racing LOL!

They just started Scouts online, and I think now all is right in his world.

19. So many emotions here too. I am glad things are working out with your son’s distance/remote learning. It is an adjustment for parents, students, and teachers. I am doing the best I can since I know most students don’t have a computer/Internet at home. Our school had Chromebooks (with a hotspot) for each student but not everyone takes it home. When we left school on March 13th, 5 students did not take them home. I found out yesterday that some will pick it up tomorrow (3 weeks into remote learning).

It’s an adjustment for everyone. I’m not going to complain about it, because I know this was never the plan, but I don’t know that the kids are getting a ton out of it right now, either. I’m kind of waiting for the year to be cancelled outright.

20. I think we need to embrace the loss of joy just as much as we embrace the joy itself. These are true emotions and feelings that I think we all share right now, and unless we fully accept having those moments, it will become harder and harder to recognize the joy when it is present. Stay strong!

I don’t know if “embrace” is the right word, but we definitely have to acknowledge it. Everything is just so hard, and I am looking forward to brighter days.

21. Sorry you’re feeling down. That’s good that your son is able to do the karate lessons online. It’s disappointing for the kids to be losing their team sports at school. Keep up the smiles and the sparkles (skirts!).
    Lisa @ TechChick Adventures recently posted…Weekly workouts – progressMy Profile