let’s run the bdr florida challenge (virtually)!

The BDR Florida Challenge is the virtual challenge I’ve decided to conquer as the weeks of social distancing continue. Best Damn Race always puts on stellar events, and this virtual challenge promises the same top-notch experience.

bdr florida challenge

The BDR Florida Challenge starts June 1 (or June 15, but read on), giving runners, walkers, and cyclists the opportunity to take on the entire length of the east coast of Florida, in a virtual and socially distant way.

I’ve been hesitant to join in a big challenge like this, as I have been doing well without any additional pressure on myself, but I feel like this is a reasonable way to make my way back into having a large goal. As it stands, Memphis doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for a variety of reasons, so having something like this might soften the blow.

Two Distances.

The BDR Florida Challenges offers a 1000K and a 300K option for this event. Runners, walkers, and cyclists have until October 31, 2020 to complete their preferred distance, but I love not feeling pressured to take on something that might be bigger than my abilities at this point in my rehab. For the 1000K, runners will virtually start at Amelia Island and travel (again, virtually) to the Southernmost Point in Key West. That’s a lot of kilometers of virtual Atlantic coastline, and it’s going to be fantastic!

Team Effort? Lone Wolf? We’ve Got You.

You can go the distance under your own steam, or you can work in teams of two or four to cover the distance. Both solo runners and teams can log their miles on the BDR Florida Challenge page to tally their miles for the duration of the challenge. Solo runners get to start June 1, while teams and cyclists don’t begin until June 15. I’m excited to take on 1000K with a friend – there’s just no way I could do it alone right now, so this is my favorite option!

Earn Your Motivation Along The Way

As you run, walk, or bike your miles, you’ll log them and earn virtual checkpoints to keep you on track. Look out for digital badges via email when you hit Daytona Beach, the Space Coast, South Beach, and ultimately, Key West.

bdr virtual challenge

All The Best Swag

Best Damn Race always brings the swag, and the BDR Florida Challenge is another way to reap the bling! All participants will receive a gender-specific race shirt,

bdr florida challenge

and this gorgeous medal,

bdr florida challenge

1000K Finishers will also score this really cool patch!

bdr Florida challenge

I’ve never received a patch as a race perk before, so I’m kind of excited about that.

Best Damn Race Always Does It Right

I have been an Ambassador for the Best Damn Race series for years, and I am proud to say that every race I’ve ever attended has been on point. While I’m definitely going to miss out on the awesome, in-person aspects of a BDR event, I’m happy to be participating in a BDR event again. Are you going to join me? Register here! (this is an affiliate link)

Join the Runner’s Roundup!

Link up each week to post your favorite running tips, experiences, race and training recaps, workouts, gear, and coaching ideas. Join your hosts Coach Debbie RunsRunning on HappyConfessions of a Mother RunnerMile by MileRuns with Pugs, and Organic Runner Mom each week for the Runners’ Roundup linkup! Your link must be running related. Unrelated links will be removed. You must link back to your hosts — it’s common courtesy and a lot more fun! Spread the link-up love by visiting at least two other #running bloggers! Leave a comment and find new blogs to read! Use hashtags #running and #RunnersRoundup to stay in touch and promote your content!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Are you partaking in a big virtual challenge like the BDR Florida Challenge?

What’s next on your running agenda?

32 Responses to let’s run the bdr florida challenge (virtually)!

1. Catrina says:

This looks like a fun race! Congrats that you decided to take on the 1000k with your friend.
    Keep us posted!

2. Sounds like a great event! I’ve never done anything like this before. Its a fun idea to work towards bigger mileage goal over a few months- and even better that you can do it with someone else! Hope it goes well!

3. Wendy says:

Fun shirts! I love that there are all these virtual challenges–I love the goal of completing a big distance over time like this. Obviously, I’m doing the Illinois challenge and am running the east-west distance as opposed to the north-south, lol!

Good luck!

Me, too! at first, I wasn’t down for it, but when I saw that i had a few months to get it done, and could drag a buddy along for the ride, I was totally in!

Good luck to you!

4. How fun! I’m doing a challenge to run/walk my state’s border and it goes on for an entire year. It’s fun to see my progress each day, I just got to 5%. It’s a big distance but since walking counts it’s easy to rack up the miles.
    Beckett @ Birchwood Pie recently posted…Weekly Eats: Cracking the Salad CodeMy Profile

Ooooh. That will be a good one! For Florida, to complete the perimeter might take a year! It’s a big state with a super intricate coast! Good luck and have fun!

5. What a cool challenge! So far I have not done any virtual racing but maybe at some point I will get motivated and jump in. Love the swag!

It’s definitely going to be fun and a bit of a challenge. This is the first one I’m officially paying for and getting bling for, so I’m kind of excited.

6. That does look like a fun challenge! If only we really could start in Amelia Island. Have not been there in years but do remember it being an amazing little resort. Have fun!

7. I’ve really been trying to avoid signing up for any more virtual challenges but I might have to lol you are making this sound super fun! I do love BDR and always try to do at least one of their races each year. They definitely put on an amazing event!

8. Sounds like a lot of fun! Loving all the virtual races popping up and new ones that never existed before, especially those supporting local causes.

9. How fun! I’m doing the GVRAT right now and there’s no way I’m going to make the cutoff for 1000k. I’m gonna keep trying, though! Haha.

We went to Amelia Island once… I would love to go back now!

10. Sounds like fun.

I have a virtual races and challenges.

I want to run a real one.

Maybe one of the BDR in the future.

11. Mary says:

I like how they used the virtual race format to expand the whole concept of the race and do something different (race the whole coast of Florida). Sounds like fun, I hope the markers you get and camaraderie of knowing others are doing it will keep you motivated.

12. I might have told you about the Iowa virtual one. I think there’s three different distance options (a partial distance across the state, the full distance, of an out-and-back full distance), and each distance has a different timeline.

13. Chris Tiley says:

I really like the idea of these virtual events. I always need an upcoming event to keep me motivated to run regularly. With all my planned events being cancelled, virtual events are keeping me motivated.

14. I’ve been looking at a lot of these long-distance virtuals. They look like fun!

15. Debbie says:

I haven’t signed up for any virtual events but this one sounds like something I can do. Five months to run 1000k would probably be right about perfect for me (though the heat of summer may take its toll). It sounds like fun!

16. BDR puts on great races (even if I was underwhelmed by the course in Savannah). Wish they had races in more Southern states, although I don’t see that happening considering what’s going on right now.

Good luck! You’ve got this, Jenn!

I haven’t run the Savannah course of BDR. I’ve done a few other races there, and there are definitely ups and downs to those. This, however… This is going to be great!

17. Pingback: may runfessions: keep on running | Runs With PugsRuns With Pugs